As an IPN MSc student, you can transfer to the PhD program through the Candidacy Exam if:
- You have a GPA > 3.5 out of 4.0 at the Masters level*
- You have the recommendation of your Advisory Committee that you are an appropriate candidate for PhD studies.
- You have completed at least one of the core courses (NEUR 630/NEUR 631)
*M.Sc. students who wish to pursue a PhD degree but who have not obtained the minimum 3.5 GPA in their M.Sc. course work while in the IPN must submit a Master's thesis and then apply for the Ph.D. level afterwards.
The transfer from MSc to PhD must be completed by the end of MSc year 2. Please see the below deadlines to ensure that your candidacy exam are completed preceding the end of MSc year 2
Steps to transfer:
- Submit Ph.D. Thesis Proposal and present to Advisory Committee.
- Advisory Committee recommends proceeding with Candidacy Exam. (The thesis proposal and proposal approval form should be sent to ipn [at] mcgill.ca 1 month before the Candidacy exam.)
- Notify ipn.admissions [at] mcgill.ca of your intent to transfer in order to receive permission to apply to the Fast Track PhD. Then submit an application as a Fast Track applicant on UApply. (NB. if you are transferring to the PhD, you do not have to submit any supporting documents or pay the applicaiton fee.)
- Complete the Candidacy Exam (the IPN office requires 1 month notice.)
(Register for NEUR700 in the term in which you take the Candidacy Exam.)
For more information on the format of the candidacy exam, see the candidacy exam tab here.
MSc to PhD Transfer Application Deadlines
|September 2018 Start-date|
|International Student||uApply Deadline||March 15|
|Candidacy Exam Deadline||May 19|
|Canadian Student||uApply Deadline||June 1|
|Candidacy Exam Deadline||June 30|
|January 2018 Start-date|
|International Student||uApply Deadline||September 10|
|Candidacy Exam Deadline||September 25|
|Canadian Student||uApply Deadline||November 10|
|Candidacy Exam Deadline||November 25|
*Students transfer into PhD2.