Faculty of Law
The Faculty of Law is proud to offer a wide variety of internship opportunities that allow students to enrich their legal education through practical training, both locally and abroad. Here are just a few of the Faculty’s many offerings:
- The Legal Clinic Program offers students a chance to work in community organizations and legal clinics providing legal information and assistance to socially disadvantaged individuals and groups, as well as organizations promoting goals of public interest. Students work under the supervision of lawyers associated with each organization and earn 3-6 credits for their contribution.
- The International Human Rights Internship Program allows students to earn 6 credits while further developing a demonstrated interest in the defence of fundamental human rights. Students are placed with international non-governmental organizations and tribunals as interns, with partial funding from the Faculty of Law.
- The Court and Administrative Tribunals Clerkship offers students the opportunity to earn academic credits while working as a research assistant for a judge or member of an administrative tribunal in Montreal during the academic year or summer.
- The International Judicial Clerkship Program allows students to learn about international and comparative law by assisting the judges and legal officers of leading international tribunals such as the International Court of Arbitration of the International Chamber of Commerce, the Inter-American Court of Human Rights, the Chambers of the Special Court for Sierra Leone, and the Office of the Prosecutor of the Special Court for Sierra Leone.
- The Institute of Comparative Law runs a Summer Internship Program at the International Court of Arbitration of the International Chamber in Commerce in Paris. Every summer, a McGill student or recent graduate spends one to two months working at the Court’s Secretariat in Paris following arbitration training at McGill.
Students are encouraged to find out about the full range of internship opportunities at the Faculty of Law by contacting the relevant faculty and staff members listed below.
Faculty of Law Legal Clinic Program
Hélèna Lamed Director, Legal Methodology New Chancellor Day Hall, Room 435
helena [dot] lamed [at] mcgill [dot] ca
International Human Rights Internship Program
Dr. Nandini Ramanujam, Executive Director Centre for Human Rights and Pluralism
nandini [dot] ramanujam [at] mcgill [dot] ca
Court and Administrative Tribunals Clerkship
Prof. Adelle Blackett
New Chancellor Day Hall, Room 508
adelle [dot] blackett [at] mcgill [dot] ca
For general information on internship opportunities, please contact:
Aisha Topsakal, Assistant Dean (Student Life and Learning)
New Chancellor Day Hall, Room 424
aisha [dot] topsakal [at] mcgill [dot] ca
Career Development Office
placement [dot] law [at] mcgill [dot] ca