Eligibility - AUCC Students for Development Program
- Returning McGill University student - returning for a minimum of 1 semester after completion of the internship.
- Full-time McGill University student who will be entering their final year of their undergraduate degree and above (Masters and PhD students are welcome to apply).
- Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
- The student's program of study or research focus is international development or another discipline that is relevant to or addresses one or more of CIDA's three priority themes.
- Students must complete the internship for academic credit.
- Students must not have participated in a previous SFD internship.
Requirements for internships with Nexos Voluntarios:
Interns must be flexible and open to learning about and participating in a culture very different from their own. Requirements include:
- Intermediate-level Spanish language ability*.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to adapt and work with and within a new culture.
- Proactive, able to think critically and take initiative.
*If you have not taken HISP 220D1 and HIPS 220D2 or HISP 219, then you must include a writing sample in Spanish with your application.
Requirements for internships with Green Power:
- Suitable interns should have practical backgrounds/interests in one or more of the areas of community/participatory development, economics, or law. An interest in statistics and econometrics is a plus. Technical knowledge of excel, access, and/or stata is appreciated.
- Have good interpersonal skills.
- Excited to interact with local community members.
- Be someone who takes initiative.
- Demonstrated cultural sensitivity and interest is an asset.
The intern is responsible for all costs associated with the internship including transportation, accommodations, visas, medical costs, etc. The AUCC-SFD Award is intended to cover most, but not necessarily all costs.
Dates and Travel arrangements: Preparing travel arrangements to and from your internship host community is the responsibility of the intern. All AUCC-SFD interns are required to be in their host country for a minimum of 90 days. Internships take place from May - August with Nexos Voluntarios, and May - August or May - November with Green Power. Internships are full time positions.
Please note that the Nexos Voluntarios Internship program includes a program fee. The AUCC-SFD Internships are considered Individual Field Experiences. The price for a twelve week internship is between $3,360 and $5,140. Fees cover housing, food, a welcome package, orientation, support from coordinators, a 24-hour emergency helpline, airport transportation, one cultural activity per week, and a donation to the NeVo Community Fund. For more information, click here.
For questions, contact Nexos Voluntarios directly.
How to Apply
Applications are closed for 2013. Please refer back to this page for information regarding 2014 application procedures.
Applications must include:
- An application form, including a Statement of Interest, for Green Power or Nexos Voluntarios.
- Official McGill University transcript (must be ordered in advance).
- 2 letters of recommendation (at least one must be from a McGill professor).
Students must submit both electronic applications by e-mail and hard copies in person:
In person, to Leacock room 307:
- Application Form + Statement of Interest: One-page maximum explaining why you want to participate in an AUCC-SFD program, what skills and/or experience you have that will prepare you for the internship, and how it fits within your future career goals.
- C.V. (résumé).
- Two letters of recommendation: Two letters in sealed envelopes should be mailed directly to Anne Turner, Leacock room 309 or via email to anne.turner [at] mcgill.ca (one letter must be from a professor). Please note that it is acceptable to submit reference letters by email only.
- Official McGill transcript printed in a sealed envelope (note: This must be ordered on Minerva in advance).
By e-mail to ion [at] mcgill.ca from your McGill E-mail Address:
- Application form, C.V and statement of interest.
Please use the following file-name format: firstname.lastname_CV
(ex.: james.mcgill_CV.doc or james.mcgill_CV.pdf)
ION will only consider applications received from students’ official McGill e-mail accounts
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. At that time, you will be asked to come in for an interview.
The Internship Offices Network will then transmit the selected applications to the host organization, which will ultimately be responsible for the selection of the candidates.
For More Information:
Laura Di Maio
Internship Coordinator, Internship Offices Network
Leacock Building, Room 307
(514) 398-4400, ext. 089688
ion [at] mcgill.ca
1. Increasing food security
- Sustainable agricultural development
- Food assistance and nutrition
- Research and innovation
2. Securing the future of children and youth
- Child survival, including maternal health
- Access to quality education, particularly for girls
- Safety and security of children and youth
3. Stimulating sustainable economic growth
- Building economic foundations
- Growing businesses
- Investing in people