Quick Links

Work Permit Application Guide

For students applying from within Canada

As of June 1st, 2014, all NEW Study Permits will automatically include an Off-Campus Work authorization (see CIC notice).

Before you start, make sure you understand which type of work permit is right for you.

CLICK HERE for our Step-by-Step Application Guide

1. Log on to MyCIC (or register for an account - or a "GC Key" - if you don't have one already)

2. Fill out the Questionnaire and be sure to include your UCI (Universal Client ID - which can be found on your Study Permit)

3. Complete the PDF Application Form provided, save it to your desktop, and upload it to your application (the electronic signature is not needed). 

  • An EVN (see below) is ONLY needed for an Off-Campus Work Permit (not for a co-op/internship, spousal, or post-graduation work permit).
  • No job offer is necessary when applying for co-op/internship, off-campus, spousal or post graduation work permits.  You can indicate "not applicable" in fields requesting this information.
  • No Labour Market Opinion (LMO) is necessary; you can leave this section blank.

4. Upload required documents

  • Upload your saved IMM5710 form to your application
  • When asked to upload your passport, be sure to include ALL stamped/marked pages of your passport, and include any Study or Work Permit stapled into your passport (you may have to temporarily remove the staples).  These should all be scanned into 1 document.
  • If you are applying for a co-op/internship work permit, upload the letter provided to you by your Co-op Office at McGill in the designated area.  If no designated area is provided, you can upload it in the additional documents section.
  • If you were required to do a medical exam as part of your work permit application, you can upload proof of this (i.e. a receipt) in the additional documents section.

You can check how long it will take before you get your Work Permit here.  Processing times vary according to volume and time of year

NOTE:  International Students (with valid Study Permits) who are from TRV/Entry Visa-exempt countries can now apply for their Post-Grad Work Permits at the following border crossings in Quebec (instead of online):

  • Lacolle/Champlain
  • St. Armand/Phillipsburg
  • Stanstead

What is an Electronic Verification Number (EVN)?

An EVN is issued once McGill can confirm that a student is eligible for an Off-Campus Work Permit.  The EVN is required to complete the Off-Campus Work Permit application.

  1. Apply for an EVN through your MyCIC account (on your profile page)
  2. A request will be sent to International Student Services (ISS) to verify your eligibility
  3. Within 2-3 business days, eligibility will be confirmed (if you are not eligible, you will receive an explanatory email)
  4. An EVN will be sent to you via a message in the My CIC message box

Having problems with your CIC online application?  Contact the CIC Call Centre at 1.888.242.2100 or write to CIC.

Please note:

International Student Services (ISS) provides information regarding immigration documents (i.e. Study Permits, CAQ, Temporary Resident Visas, Work Permits) required for  international students to study or work at McGill. 

Please note that ISS cannot provide advice to you, or act on your behalf, on such immigration matters.  Our website provides links to Immigration Quebec and Citizenship and Immigration Canada where complete information, application forms and instructions are available.

International students seeking information on immigrating to Canada can check the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website as well as the Quebec Immigration website.