Work permit application guide
For students applying from within Canada
Before you start
Make sure you understand which type of work permit is right for you.
International Students (with valid Study Permits) who are from TRV/Entry Visa-exempt countries can now apply for their Post-Grad Work Permits at the following border crossings in Quebec (instead of online):
- St. Armand/Phillipsburg
Step-by-step application guide
1. Log into MyCIC (or register for an account)
2. Fill out the Questionnaire and be sure to include your UCI (Universal Client ID - which can be found on your Study Permit)
3. Complete the PDF Form, save it to your desktop, and upload it to your application (the electronic signature is not needed)
4. Upload required documents
- Upload your saved IMM5710 form to your application
- When asked to upload your passport, be sure to include ALL stamped/marked pages of your passport, and include any Study or Work Permit stapled into your passport (you may have to temporarily remove the staples). These should all be scanned into 1 document.
- If you are applying for a co-op/internship work permit, upload the letter provided to you by your Co-op Office at McGill in the designated area. If no designated area is provided, you can upload it in the additional documents section.
- If you were required to do a medical exam as part of your work permit application, you can upload proof of this (i.e. a receipt) in the additional documents section.
You can check how long it will take before you get your Work Permit here. Processing times vary according to volume and time of year
What is an Electronic Verification Number (EVN)?
An EVN is issued once McGill can confirm that a student is eligible for an Off-Campus Work Permit. The EVN is required to complete the Off-Campus Work Permit application.
- Apply for an EVN through your MyCIC account (under "My Requests" on the profile page)
- A request will be sent to International Student Services (ISS) to verify your eligibility
- Within 2-3 business days, eligibility will be confirmed (if you are not eligible, you will receive an explanatory email)
- An EVN will be sent to you via a message in the My CIC message box
(Note that the "click to continue" link from this message does not work; exit the message, and return to the original online application).
In my Off-Campus Work Permit Application, there was NO opportunity to indicate that I do NOT have an EVN.
Check the My Requests section of your profile (before entering your application). There you should find a link to "Request an EVN".
If this option does not appear, see Solution B.
You may not have provided your Client ID number when you originally registered with MyCIC.
To correct the issue:
- Select Exit to leave your Online Application;
- Select Next question to return to the Terms and Conditions page;
- Delete the e-Application currently in progress; and
- Re-register for a new GCKey using your client ID number.
Once the enrolment is complete, you can request an EVN by clicking on the link called OCWP – Request an EVN or a Transfer of Eligibility Verification under the Make a Request section of the MyCIC Welcome page.
Still having problems with your CIC online application? Contact the CIC Call Centre at 1.888.242.2100 or write to CIC.
International Student Services (ISS) provides information regarding immigration documents (i.e. Study Permits, CAQ, Temporary Resident Visas, Work Permits) required for international students to study or work at McGill.
Please note that ISS cannot provide advice to you, or act on your behalf, on such immigration matters. Our website provides links to Immigration Quebec and Citizenship and Immigration Canada where complete information, application forms and instructions are available.