Quick Links

Post-graduation work permit

International students who have completed a McGill degree can obtain an Open Work Permit (valid for up to 3 years) under the Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) program, with no restrictions on employment type and no job offer requirement. 

The application for the PGWP must be made within 90 days of the issuance of your final grades or the confirmation of your graduation, whichever is earlier, and while your Study Permit is valid. Students may hold more than one employment position within the PGWP period.

For complete details, visit the "Post-Graduation" page of Citizenship and Immigration Canada website.



Citizens from countries requiring an Entry Visa (TRV) to come to Canada must apply online through MyCIC.  Instructions on how to apply are provided in our Work Permit Application Guide.  

We recommend that students apply for their PGWP online from within Canada, and remain in Canada until they receive the permit in the mail (See Important! note below).


Citizens of TRV/Visa-exempt countries can apply online or at the Canada/US border (Lacolle/Champlain, St. Armand/Phillipsburg, or Stanstead), or - if arriving by plane - with immigration services at the airport.  There is bus service to the Canada/US border from Montreal.  Please bring the following documents:

1.  Valid Passport
2.  Valid CAQ & Study Permit
3.  Letter from Service Point and/or your Faculty confirming that you have completed all the requirements of your program of study OR transcripts indicating completion of program of study.
4.  $150

Optional documents: In case further proof is requested, you may want to bring your student card and a copy of your most recent proof of enrolment (just in case).  Also, immigration officers occasionally ask students whether they have enough money to pay for their living costs while looking for work.  If you're not already employed, it's a good idea to have a copy of your latest bank statement or any other document proving that you have sufficient funds to pay your rent while looking for work (there is no specific amount required by CIC).


Planning on traveling while waiting for your PGWP? 

The following answer is taken directly from the CIC website:

If you have applied to extend your work permit and plan on traveling outside Canada while your application is in process, you can leave Canada and come back. However, 1 of 3 things will happen when you return to Canada:

  1. You may be allowed to come back to Canada as a visitor, if Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) has not yet decided to extend your work permit. If this is the case, you cannot work until you get your work permit extension. The officer at the port of entry may ask you to prove you have enough money to support yourself in Canada.
  2. You may be allowed to come back to Canada as a worker, if the officer at the port of entry finds out that CIC extended your work permit while you were away.
  3. You may be asked to apply for a new work permit at the port of entry.

Note: It is possible that you will not be able to enter Canada. The final decision is made at the border by the border services officer.