International students who must participate in a mandatory co-op/internship/practicum/placement (i.e. one that is a requirement for their program) must apply for a co-op work permit. This applies whether the work is on - or off - campus, paid or unpaid, during the academic year or during the summer, and regardless of the number of hours involved.
If accepted directly into a program requiring an internship (e.g. B.Ed., MBA), students can apply for their co-op/internship work permit at the same time as they apply for their initial Study Permit.
Because of current processing delays, students are advised to apply for their co-op/internship work permit 6 months before their internship is due to start.
Note: This application is fee exempt (i.e. free).
- you have a letter from your department* confirming the mandatory nature of the work experience
- you have a valid Study Permit
- the employment in question is a requirement of your program
- the employment constitutes less than 50% of your program
* Materials Engineering Co-op students can now obtain their co-op work permit letter here.
* Mining Engineering Co-op students can now obtain their co-op work permit letter here.
Both groups should include their letter of acceptance or proof of enrolment - which confirms that they are completing a co-op program - along with the Department letter.