Quick Links

Tax information

Do I need to file a tax return in Canada?

You have to file a tax return if you owe tax, or if you want to claim tax credits or refunds.

Taxes are filed at 2 levels: the provincial level (Revenu Québec) and the federal level (Canada Revenue Agency — see ISS's document on the CRA. 

Please refer to the Are you an International Student? page on the Canada Revenue Agency website and the New Residents page on the Revenu Quebec website for detailed information and instructions on how to submit your tax return, and how to claim credits and refunds.

DEADLINE:  Generally, your income tax return has to be filed on or before April 30 for the previous calendar year (Jan-Dec 2013).

Additional help:

You can view last year's Revenu Quebec presentation here.

The Canada Revenue Agency cancelled their student outreach program, but sent us a student tax presentation.  In addition, they offer a handy student tax guide and tax preparation videos on their website to help you through the process. 

There are also a number of Volunteer Tax Preparation Clinics throughout Montreal.  In addition, there are companies that provide tax preparation services for a fee (some offer special student rates - always ask when you contact them).