Quick Links

Expired documents

Concerned about expired immigration documents?

Here are the 3 most common scenarios:

Your Study Permit has expired - you applied before it expired - but you have not yet received your new permit

The following information is taken directly from How Can I Extend My Stay as a Student page of the CIC website:

If your study permit expires after you have submitted your application for an extension but before you receive a decision on your application, you can stay in Canada under what’s called implied status. That means that you can legally remain in Canada, until CIC decides on your new permit application. If you applied for another study permit, you must:

a)      stay in Canada and

b)     meet the conditions of your original study permit (and student work permit, if applicable)

Your Study Permit has expired and you’re applying after the expiry date

The following information is taken directly from the Extend Your Study Permit page of the CIC website:

In some cases, you may apply to restore your status as a student within 90 days of losing it. You may only apply if you have continued to meet the requirements under which you were allowed to enter and stay in Canada and you have met all the conditions imposed on your permit.

After you apply to restore your status, you may stay in Canada until a decision is made on your application but you are not allowed to study or work until your status has been restored.

There is no guarantee that your application to restore your status will be accepted. On your application, you must provide full details of all the facts and circumstances that caused you to lose your status.

In addition to a fee for renewing your study permit, there is also a fee for restoring your status. The fee is required for each family member who has lost status. To find out about application fees, go to Pay my application fees.

An officer will evaluate your request for restoration of status and will process an application for a study permit. Citizenship and Immigration Canada will advise you of any further action to be taken.

Please note that – based on McGill students’ experiences – we’ve noted that the processing time for a restoration of status can be anywhere from 6 weeks to 6 months.

Your Temporary Resident Visa (TRV or Entry Visa) has expired and you plan to travel

If you are a citizen of a country that requires a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV, or Entry Visa) to enter Canada, and your TRV has expired, you can simply apply for a new visa.  You can travel to the US only and back into Canada without a new TRV so long as you have a valid Study Permit or Work Permit.

If you have expired immigration documents and your situation does not correspond to any of the above, please contact us for assistance.