Immigration Documents

Find out which immigration documents are necessary for you (based on length of your program) to study legally in Quebec and Canada.

Document 1-term Exchange Student (Less than 6 months) 2-Term Exchange Student Degree Student (Undergraduate & Graduate)
Passport Valid for AT LEAST one Year Yes



Certificate of Acceptance of Quebec (CAQ) No Yes Yes
Study Permit  No Yes Yes
Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) If applicable. These documents correspond to the nationality of the student. Check HERE to find out if you need one to enter Canada. * ONLY U.S. Citizens are exempt from needing an eTA or a TRV

CAQ Application Guide

Study Permit Application Guide

Important Tips!

  • When you apply for certain documents, such as your Study Permit, there is no guarantee of acceptance. You should not purchase plane tickets or make other final travel arrangements until your documents are in order.
  • Also, be sure to place your travel documents, prescription medication, eyeglasses, contact lenses, Buddy's telephone number and other vital information in your carry-on bag. Don't risk losing these important items due to lost checked luggage!