Supporting documents for exemption
- Citizens of Denmark, Finland, France, Luxembourg, Norway, Portugal, Sweden, Belgium or Greece may qualify for the Quebec provincial health plan Régie de l'assurance maladie du Québec(RAMQ). Procedures to apply for the RAMQ card:
The application form and further details can be found here. The RAMQ card or a letter from RAMQ confirming your coverage is required by McGill to confirm your exemption. Only full-time students are eligible for a RAMQ card. Students covered by the Sécurité Sociale-Caisse des Français de l'Étranger are not eligible for a RAMQ card.
Note: International undergraduate students who wish to enroll into the 2013-2014 SSMU Supplemental Health Plan, will have to register with ASEQ strictly between August 22 and September 27, 2013. Graduate international students who wish to enroll into the 2013-2014 PGSS Supplemental Health Plan, will have to register with ASEQ strictly between August 22 and September 27, 2013. International students from Macdonald campus who wish to enroll into the 2013-2014 MCSS Supplemental Health Plan, will have to register with ASEQ strictly between August 22 and September 27, 2013.
- Sponsored students and Award recipients (CBIE, CIDA, ICCS, SACB or DAAD) must present an insurance card and letter from their sponsor confirming the start and end date of the coverage.
- SACB: confirmation of coverage including dates of coverage available on SACB website. Students must provide their Saudi ID # and date of birth to access this website.
- Students on Diplomatic Visa must present a valid RAMQ card or a letter from RAMQ.
- Dependents of workers of an international organization must present a confirmation of coverage, including the start and end date of the coverage.
- Non-residents - if you are an international student residing outside of Canada (i.e. not physically in Canada), you may request an insurance exemption. To do so, you must submit the following:
- Graduate Students
- An email (must be from your McGill email account) to international [dot] health [at] mcgill [dot] ca (ISS) explaining that you are not physically residing in Canada (date of departure will be needed), the date you plan to return (if at all) and that you are registered and pursuing your academic studies at McGill University.
- A PDF copy of your valid passport and exit/entry stamp (attached to your email from point # 1 above).
- An email from your supervisor or Graduate Program Director to international [dot] health [at] mcgill [dot] ca (ISS) with your name and ID# and that they acknowledge that you are completing your thesis abroad and for how long.
- Undergraduate Students
- No supporting document required, as long as your student transcript indicates non-resident or term-away status.