Quick Links

Study Permit Renewal Guide

How to Use CIC's Online Study Permit Extension Application - when applying from within Canada

Before you start:
ensure that you have a valid passport and CAQ. Your new Study Permit will not be valid beyond the expiry dates of these documents.

US students ONLY:
  Please note that you can renew your Study Permit at the border (Lacolle/Champlain, St. Armand/Phillipsburg, or Stanstead), or - if arriving by plane - with immigration services at the airport (instead of online).

Step-by-step guide:

1. Log into MyCIC (or register for an account). 
If you are registering for a new account, you will apply for a "GC key" (log in).

2. Fill out the Questionnaire.  If you are renewing your Study Permit, remember to include your Universal Client ID (UCI), which is printed on your current Study Permit.

NOTE:  McGill's CIC Designated Learning Institution number (DLI#) is O19359011033

3. Complete, Validate, Save & Upload the PDF Form

4. Upload Supporting Documents

You will be asked to upload a list of supporting documents based on the answers you provided to the questionnaire. 

N.B. If you are extending your current Study Permit, you DO NOT need your original letter of acceptance, but you DO need your Proof of Enrolment (which can be printed off Minerva).

5. Processing times

You can check how long it will take to get your Study Permit here.  Processing times vary according to volume and time of year.


If you are having problems with your CIC online application, please contact the CIC Call Centre at 1.888.242.2100 or question [at] cic [dot] gc [dot] ca (write to CIC).

Please note:

International Student Services (ISS) provides information regarding immigration documents (i.e. Study Permits, CAQ, Temporary Resident Visas, Work Permits) required for  international students to study or work at McGill. 

Please note that ISS cannot provide advice to you, or act on your behalf, on such immigration matters.  Our website provides links to Immigration Quebec and Citizenship and Immigration Canada where complete information, application forms and instructions are available.

International students seeking information on immigrating to Canada can check the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website as well as the Quebec Immigration website.