Quick Links

work permits


As a full-time International Canadian-degree-seeking student, you can work both on campus and off campus, but it's important to ensure that you have the right documents to do so legally.

International Students: Adapting to the Canadian job market

Brown Student Services Room 3001, 3600 rue McTavish, Montreal, QC, H3A 0G3, CA

By attending:

International Students: Adapting to the Canadian job market

you will be able to:

Updated CIC Strike Alert

The following is posted on the Processing Times page of the Citizenship and Immigration Canada:

Alert – Strike Action

The Professional Association of Foreign Service Officers (PAFSO) union is currently taking strike action. PAFSO union members responsible for processing visa applications have been walking out of offices in Canada and overseas.

Posted processing times for both temporary and permanent resident visa applications do not take into account work stoppages.

Published: 11Jul2013

Student Work


“Work” is defined in the CIC Regulations as an activity for which wages are paid or commission is earned, OR that competes directly with activities of Canadian citizens or permanent residents in the Canadian labour market.

For more details about what qualifies as "work" vs. "volunteering", visit the CIC website.