If you are moving into an apartment you may be responsible for setting up phone, cable and Internet, and the companies vary from those in the U.S. and other countries. It is important to shop around, ask questions and determine what your needs are and what your budget is before settling on a plan with a service provider.
Internet in Montreal can be reasonable, however many plans have data limits — it is not unlimited like in the U.S. so you need to be realistic about what your internet usage will be.
Things to consider
- Cost and Contract
- Terms of Service
- Add-ons and features
- What you will use the internet for
- Customer Support
Questions to ask yourself
- Do you plan on watching TV? Be aware that basic cable channels will mostly be in French depending on your provider!
- How much internet do you plan on using?
- How many people will be using the internet?
- Is it cheaper to get a package of all three? Or two?
- Do they offer student discounts or rates?
- Is it easy to get in touch with a customer service representative for assistance?
- Are there extra fees? Installation? Wireless router? Cable box? These things all typically need to be paid for or require a down payment and a return at the end of your use.