The following is a list of banks within walking distance from McGill's downtown campus:
Some banks may have special offers for students, and as international students some may have agreements with other banks in your home country to allow for easier transfers (should there be an emergency). They may also have special accounts for students and lines of credit available.
To open an account you will need two forms of ID and something which states your new Montreal address (ex: bill, copy of the lease, etc.) but you should check with each branch specifically to see what they require.
Here are some questions to ask yourself and the bank representative before opening an account.
- What are my options?
- What type of account do I need?
- What happens if I bounce a check or overdraw my account?
- What is in the fine print?
- Do I need to maintain a minimum balance?
- Is there a fee to transfer money to my account from out of the country? (or vice versa)
- Do you offer free savings accounts with interest? What is the interest rate?
- Do you offer free checking accounts?
- Do you offer free checks and any kind of protection for bouncing a check? What is your fee for bouncing a check or having insufficient funds?
- Where are you located and do you have other branches nearby? What are your hours?
- Where are your closest ATMs and is there a fee to use them? Is there a fee to use other ATM's?
- Do you offer a debit or credit card with checking accounts? Are there fees with those cards?
- Do you offer free direct deposit?