WMST Joint Honours Program (36 credits)
Advisor: Elizabeth Groeneveld
The Joint Honours Component in Women's Studies is completed in conjunction with a Joint Honours Component from another Department/Faculty/Program. The Joint Honours Component in Women's Studies offers a degree of analysis and depth of contemporary and historical critical issues centered on women, gender, and/or feminism beyond that of the Major, while requiring the completion of fewer credits than the Honours Component in Women's Studies. It culminates in the completion of an Honours thesis, supervised by a faculty member at McGill University. Students secure the approval of a potential thesis supervisor during the year before undertaking the thesis. Three credits are accorded to the thesis (graded by the thesis advisor), and 3 credits are accorded to work undertaken in the Colloquium. Joint Honours students must maintain a program GPA of 3.30 and a CGPA of 3.00.
Required Courses (12 credits)
WMST 200 Intro to Women\'s Studies (3 credits)
WMST 303 Feminist Theory and Research (3 credits)
WMST 495D1 Honours/Joint Hons. Colloquium (1.5 credits)
WMST 495D2 Honours/Joint Hons. Colloquium (1.5 credits)
WMST 497D1 Honours/Joint Honours Thesis (1.5 credits)
WMST 497D2 Honours/Joint Honours Thesis (1.5 credits)
Complementary Courses (24 credits)
- 24 credits of complementary courses selected as described below
- Minimum of 6 credits must be at the 400 or 500 level.
- Maximum of 12 credits can be at the 200 level.
- Maximum of 12 transfer credits will be accepted from approved exchange programs by arrangement with the Chair of WSAC and subject to university approval.
3 credits from the following WMST courses:
WMST 301 Women\'s St Current Topics 1 (3 credits)
WMST 302 Women\'s St Current Topics 2 (3 credits)
WMST 401 Women\'s St Special Topics 1 (3 credits)
WMST 402 Women\'s St Special Topics 2 (3 credits)
WMST 501 Advanced Topics 1 (3 credits)
WMST 502 course description not available (3 credits)
9 credits from Complementary Course Group A:
- Students must select a minimum of 9 credits from the eight groupings of complementary courses
- Students may take only one course from any particular grouping
- Any additional credits taken above the 9 credits from Complementary Course Group A may count as credits towards Group B
12 credits from Complementary Course Group B:
- Students select courses from the list in consultation with an advisor and identify an individual focus of study comprised of 9 credits