Quick Links


If I am an undergraduate or graduate student with questions, who do I ask?

You should visit the Advising website or directly email the claire [dot] michela [at] mcgill [dot] ca (IGSF Student Affairs Coordinator).

What are the grade requirements of the Women's Studies/Sexual Diversity Studies program?

In accordance with the Faculty of Arts grading policy, a required course for a program must be passed with a grade of C or better. If a student gets a D, the course must be repeated, but the student will receive credit only once. If the course is a complementary one, then the course can be substituted with another course.

What If I need an extension in a WMST or SDST course?

K form:

  • If you are unable to complete the requirements for a SDST or WMST course, tell your professor about your situation. Your professor will want to understand your situation and may ask for supporting documentation; s/he may agree to an extension
  • If agreed upon, you will receive a "K" grade
  • You and your professor must complete a "K Form", found at www.mcgill.ca/igsf/programs/wmst/, and submit it to the IGSF Student Affairs Coordinator
  • The course requirements must be completed within an agreed upon deadline and up to a maximum of 4 months after the original course end date (1 academic term)
  • If the work is not submitted and the grade is not changed prior to the 4 months, the "K" is automatically changed to a "KF" or failure; the "F" remains on your transcript
  • Under extenuating circumstances and accompanied by a medical certificate, you may request an additional extension from your professor
  • Once you have completed all coursework and submitted it to your professor for grading, your professor will submit your grade to the Student Affairs Coordinator who will then submit the final grade to the Faculty for offical change on your transcript

What if I want to transfer credits?

CREPUQ and Inter-University Transfer (IUT) procedures:
CREPUQ: Courses taken at another Quebec University:

IUT: Inter-University Transfer, Study-Away Options:

  • Summer Studies @ Another University
  • Independent Study Away (on your own)
  • McGill Student Exchange Programs
  • Go to: http://www.mcgill.ca/oasis/away/exchange-0
  • For credit towards your Sexual Diversity Studies and/or Women's Studies program send a course outline for review for approval purposes to the IGSF Student Affairs Coordinator

If I am a student from another university, may I register for WMST 601?

Yes, if you receive permission from your own registrar’s office.

If you are a student at another Quebec university, you will need to fill out the "Authorization to Transfer Credits" on CREPUQ (see 'What if I want to transfer credits?' above)

Does my graduate research have to be in the field of Women's and Gender Studies?

Women's Studies is an interdisciplinary program and as such students come to the program with many different backgrounds and requirements stipulated by their home departments. When enrolled in the two core courses (WMST 601 and WMST 602) students will have the opportunity to thoroughly situate their own research within the disciplinary context of gender studies and feminist theory. It is expected that students in the Graduate Option will produce work in WMST 601 and 602 which demonstrates engagement with women's and gender studies directly in the context of the student's discipline or specific area of study as demonstrated in their Ph.D. dissertation, MA thesis or MA research paper. Such engagement within the core courses is a necessary condition of enrollment in the Option.

Can I get retroactive credits if I take WMST 601 when my department is still going through the approval process?

Yes, if the course is not used toward the requirements of another degree or program, it could be credited upon recommendation of your department.

What is the process to have the Graduate Option officially listed in my university record?

You write a memo to your department’s Graduate Program Director (GPD) declaring that you plan to or have completed the requirements for the Graduate Option in Gender and Women’s Studies. Your GPD then forwards his or her recommendation to the Graduate Option in Gender and Women’s Studies Student Affairs Coordinator who, in turn, will forward your declaration and your GPD’s approval to the Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies Office (GPSO).

Is there a code that the graduate coordinators need to enter in order to note the Option on my graduate student record?


When should I declare the Option? How long does it take to complete?

If you do not declare the Option at the onset of the degree, you are encouraged to do so early in your studies. You must declare the Option before you apply to graduate. You will need a minimum of two terms of study in order to complete the requirements of the Option.

How do I apply for prizes and awards?

See the "Awards and Funding" page of the IGSF website for detailed information.

How do I apply to a graduate program?

As of October 2012, McGill’s formerly paper-based graduate application process has been replaced with a more convenient electronic version. For detailed instructions on how to apply and how to upload required supporting documents in the new version, please see: http://www.mcgill.ca/gradapplicants/apply

Where should I look if I have questions about program requirements and which complementary courses have been officially approved for the IGSF programs?