Generic Job Description - Security and Telecommunications Technician
Under the direction of the immediate supervisor, installs, programs and maintains security and surveillance systems. Administers the networked portion of the security system Installs, repairs, relocates and removes various telecommunication devices and distribution media. Installs local area network (LAN) jacks, station wiring and jacks at end-user location. Acts as resource person. Troubleshoots and resolves problems. Assigns installations and inspects work of external contractors. Maintains documentation and records. Maintains equipment and departmental vehicle.
1. Installs and programs the Universitys security systems. Performs site visits and participates in preparation of quotations. Coordinates with trades people and contractors to ensure specifications are met.
2. Installs all components of the Universitys security and surveillance systems such as cabling, power supply, electronic panels, card readers, alarms, video cameras etc.
3. Configures programming on the server and client software. Designs and implements specialized applications in the security system.
4. Interacts with security personnel to resolve security issues.
5. Installs, relocates and removes various telecommunication devices and distribution media according to work orders and cabling diagrams. Installs local area network (LAN) jacks.
6. Installs wiring and jacks at end-user locations. Analyses and determines appropriate cable pairs available for use and records details on work order. Executes cross-connections as required.
7. Tests installations, connections and circuits. Performs troubleshooting and makes required adjustments.
8. Acts as resource person. Resolves problems. Instructs others on procedures and operation of equipment. Trains local administrators on operation of security system. On call 24/7 for trouble shooting.
9. Plans site visits with supervisor to determine appropriate location for devices and special requirements for LAN wiring. Documents decisions on floor plan.
10. Assigns installations to external contractors as required. Liaises with external technicians. Inspects completed work. Reports problems to supervisor and performs follow-up as required.
11. Maintains and updates records. Enters serial numbers of installed or replaced cables in log. Maintains documentation and schematic diagrams of all hardware and software installations.
12. Maintains equipment and performs minor repairs. Tests security systems at scheduled intervals. Arranges for servicing. Ensures follow-ups of repaired components before re-installing. Ensure maintenance of departmental vehicle.
13. Maintains inventory. Recommends and purchases equipment and material.
14. Keeps abreast of new developments in the field to update skills and knowledge.
15. Uses equipment such as amplifiers, drills, punch tools, ladders, computer, diagnostic tools, multimeters, etc.
16. The list of duties and responsibilities outlined above is representative and not a complete and detailed list of tasks, which may be performed by an employee whose position has been matched to this generic job description.
DEP (Installation and Repair)
Two (2) years' related experience