Generic Job Description - Local Area Network Technician
Under the direction of the immediate supervisor, performs technical tasks related to the maintenance and administration of an area's computer network(s). Installs, configures, tests and upgrades hardware and software. Acts as resource person and resolves problems. Instructs others and provides technical guidance. Performs adjustments and minor repairs. Maintains equipment.
1. Performs technical tasks related to the maintenance and administration of an area's computer network(s), including such matters as security, granting access, creating user and system menus, monitoring network usage, and performing system back-ups.
2. Installs, configures, tests, and upgrades hardware and software.
3. Acts as resource person and resolves problems. Instructs others and provides technical guidance and assistance concerning the use of network resources.
4. Proposes and develops, using software or a programming language, applications or computerized tools according to the needs of the unit or problems encountered.
5. Recommends purchases of equipment and materials to ensure efficient and optimal use of network resources. Maintains inventory. Purchases equipment and materials.
6. Maintains equipment. Performs adjustments and minor repairs. Arranges for and follows up on major repairs and servicing. Ensures the cleanliness and safety of work area.
7. Maintains records and prepares documentation related to activities of the unit.
8. Keeps abreast of new developments in the field to update skills and knowledge.
9. Uses equipment such as computers, printers, modems, computer diagnostic tools, multimeter, servers, etc.
10. The list of duties and responsibilities outlined above is representative and not a complete and detailed list of tasks which may be performed by an employee whose position has been matched to this generic job description.
DEC III (Computer Science Tech.)
Two (2) years related experience