Generic Job Description - Environmental Health & Safety Technician
Under the direction of the immediate supervisor, conducts laboratory safety inspections and occupational hygiene measurements in various areas. Assesses workplace hazards. Investigates complaints. Acts as resource person, resolves problems and instructs others. Maintains hazardous material licenses, inventories, database and equipment. Prepares reports. Compiles data.
1. Conduct laboratory safety inspections (general, radiation and biohazard) and occupational hygiene measurements (indoor air quality, air sampling for contaminants, etc.) in various areas.
2. Performs surveys of laboratories where open sources of radioisotopes are used. Assesses radioactive surface contamination through analysis of samples obtained by the wipe test technique.
3. Tests for leakage on sealed sources of radioisotopes by using radiation survey meters.
4. Performs bioassays (i.e. thyroid monitoring) for all individuals exposed to certain radio chemicals.
5. Calibrates radiation and occupational hygiene equipment.
6. Maintains and updates radioisotopes licenses, biohazard certificates and other records using a computerized database.
7. Acts as a resources person, resolves problems and instructs others. Provides technical guidance and assistance concerning work methods, the use of equipment and techniques, and the analysis of results.
8. Compiles data. Prepares reports. Analyzes and discusses results and their interpretation with others. Maintains records and files.
9. Maintains equipment and performs repairs. Arranges for servicing.
10. Maintains inventory of equipment (radioactive instruments, biological safety cabinets, autoclave, etc.) Recommends and purchases equipment and material.
11. Keeps abreast of new developments in the field to update skills and knowledge.
12. Uses a personal computer, radiation survey equipment and occupational hygiene equipment.
13. The list of duties and responsibilities outlined above is not a complete and detailed list of tasks which may be performed by an employee whose position has been matched to this generic job description.
DEC III (Occupational Health and Safety, Environmental Sciences)
One (1) year’s related experience.