Generic Job Description - Electron Microscopy Coordinator
Under the direction of the immediate supervisor, oversees the day-to-day operations of an electron microscopy facility. Organizes, distributes and verifies the work of others, and participates in their training. Establishes priorities and schedules of projects. Coordinates execution of projects and services. Prepares quotations. Develops procedures and makes recommendations to improve unit efficiency. Develops methodology. Processes specimens for electron microscopy observations. Develops and prints electron micrographs and radioautographs. Acts as resource person, resolves problems and instructs others. Administers accounts. Prepares budget proposals. Maintains equipment. Maintains records.
1. Oversees the day-to-day operations of an electron microscopy facility. Coordinates the execution of experiments, projects and services. Establishes priorities and ensures adherence to schedules. Ensures efficiency and quality of output.
2. Organizes, distributes and verifies the work of others, and participates in their training.
3. Participates in the development and implementation of unit procedures and work methods. Makes recommendations to improve unit efficiency, including recommendations on staff requirements.
4. Reviews and analyzes project submissions. Advises on feasibility. Establishes time and cost estimates. Prepares quotations.
5. Processes materials and specimens for light microscopy, electron microscopy and radioautography observations. Applies various techniques of perfusion, fixation, coating, embedding, cutting and staining.
6. Reviews, tests, evaluates and modifies equipment and methodology. Develops methodology. Assesses equipment needs. Coordinates the provision of equipment. Oversees equipment loans.
7. Examines and takes micrographs of specimens. Develops and prints micrographs and radioautographs. Analyzes and interprets observations and data.
8. Acts as resource person, resolves problems and instructs others. Provides technical guidance and assistance concerning work methods, the use of equipment and techniques, and the analysis of results.
9. Compiles experimental and analytical data. Prepares reports. Analyzes and discusses results and their interpretation with others. Maintains records and files.
10. Maintains computerized information systems and participates in their development.
11. Performs accounting functions such as monitoring expenditures, verifying ledgers and resolving discrepancies. Forecasts costs of supplies, materials and equipment. Prepares invoices. Prepares budgets or budget proposals.
12. Ensures compliance with safety regulations in the use of equipment. Ensures proper storage, handling and disposal of hazardous materials.
13. Maintains equipment and performs repairs. Arranges for servicing.
14. Maintains inventory. Recommends and purchases equipment and material.
15. Keeps abreast of new developments in the field to update skills and knowledge.
16. Uses a variety of equipment such as electron microscope, ultramicrotome, carbon coater, knife maker, freeze-fracture machine, enlarger, printer and computer.
17. The list of duties and responsibilities outlined above is representative and not a complete and detailed list of tasks which may be performed by an employee whose position has been matched to this generic job description.
Undergraduate Degree (Biology or Sciences)
Two (2) years' related experience.