Generic Job Description - Electron Micoscopy Technician
Under the direction of the immediate supervisor, processes specimens for electron microscopy observations. Develops and prints electron micrographs and radioautographs. Participates in projects and experiments. Acts as resource person, resolves problems and instructs others. Maintains equipment. Maintains records.
1. Participates in projects and experiments in the field of electron microscopy. Discusses the orientation and technical demands of the projects. Reviews, selects and modifies methodology. Assumes responsibility for the technical aspects in the execution of these projects.
2. Processes materials and specimens for light microscopy, electron microscopy and radioautography observations. Applies various techniques of perfusion, fixation, coating, embedding, cutting and staining.
3. Examines and takes micrographs of specimens. Develops and prints micrographs and radioautographs. Analyses and interprets observations and data.
4. Acts as resource person, resolves problems and instructs others. Provides technical guidance and assistance concerning work methods, the use of equipment and techniques, and the analysis of results.
5. Compiles experimental and analytical data. Prepares reports. Analyzes and discusses results and their interpretation with others. Participates in devising new methodology. Maintains records and files.
6. Maintains equipment and performs repairs. Arranges for servicing.
7. Maintains inventory. Recommends and purchases equipment and material.
8. Ensures compliance with safety regulations in the use of equipment. Ensures proper storage, handling and disposal of hazardous materials.
9. Keeps abreast of new developments in the field to update skills and knowledge.
10. Uses various equipment such as electron microscope, ultramicrotome, carbon coater, knife maker, freeze-fracture machine, enlarger, printer and computer.
11. The list of duties and responsibilities outlined above is representative and not a complete and detailed list of tasks which may be performed by an employee whose position has been matched to this generic job description.
DEC III (Medical Lab Technology)
Four (4) years related experience