Generic Job Description - Chief Waste Disposal Technician
Under the direction of the immediate supervisor, organizes the day-to-day operations of a waste management facility. Organizes, distributes and verifies the work of others and participates in their training. Collects, processes and transports hazardous waste materials. Ensures compliance with guidelines and regulations. Acts as resource person, resolves problems and instructs others. Responds to emergency spills. Operates trucks. Maintains equipment. Maintains records.
1. Organizes the day-to-day operations of a waste management facility. Organizes, distributes and verifies the work of others and participates in their training.
2. Collects hazardous materials such as radioactive, biomedical and chemical waste. Prepares and delivers replacement containers with appropriate identification.
3. Processes hazardous waste materials, including bulking, compacting and repackaging. Ensures their proper labelling, loading and transport to the disposal centre. Segregates various materials for recycling.
4. Operates trucks of various sizes to transport hazardous waste materials and materials for recycling.
5. Responds to emergency situations requiring clean up and decontamination of spill areas.
6. Maintains an inventory of materials entering and leaving the facility.
7. Acts as resource person, resolves problems and instructs others. Provides technical guidance and assistance concerning work methods, the use of equipment and techniques.
8. Ensures compliance with University and government health and safety guidelines and regulations such as the Transport of Dangerous Goods Act. Ensures proper completion of internal and government documentation. Reports unsafe conditions to supervisor and participates in safety training.
9. Maintains equipment and vehicles. Conducts regular inspection and decontamination procedures. Performs repairs and arranges for servicing. Maintains cleanliness of work area.
10. Maintains inventory. Recommends and purchases equipment and material.
11. Keeps abreast of new developments in the field to update skills and knowledge.
12. Operates trucks of various sizes, drum carts, forklifts and waste compactors. Uses equipment such as pH tester, personal computer, respirator, chemical-resistant suit, safety boots and head gear.
13. The list of duties and responsibilities outlined above is representative and not a complete and detailed list of tasks which may be performed by an employee whose position has been matched to this generic job description.
DEP (Intervention and Security)
Three (3) years' related experience