Generic Job Description - Chief A-V, Design & Photography Technician
Under the direction of the immediate supervisor, oversees the day-to-day operations of a unit. Organizes, distributes and verifies the work of others and participates in their training. Organizes the activities of a teaching unit. Assumes responsibility for technical aspects of the projects and experiments which require photographic, audiovisual and graphic design techniques. Plans and designs graphic materials. Plans and executes audiovisual and photography assignments. Acts as resource person. Provides technical advice and assistance in the use of equipment. Oversees equipment loans. Maintains equipment.
1. Oversees the day-to-day operations of a unit. Organizes, distributes and verifies the work of others and participates in their training. Makes recommendations regarding equipment and work methods to improve efficiency of unit.
2. Organizes the activities of a teaching unit. Acts as resource person and resolves problems. Instructs others and provides technical guidance and assistance concerning the use of audiovisual resources, including specialized software and equipment.
3. Participates in projects and experiments which require graphic design, photography and audiovisual techniques. Discusses the orientation and technical demands of the projects and assumes responsibility for the technical aspects. Reviews, selects and modifies methodology. Controls the technical quality of projects.
4. Analyses, researches and designs graphic materials and information packages used for teaching, publication and display purposes. Plans the layout, form, choice of materials and overall appearance of assignments.
5. Communicates with printers to monitor quality of work. Prepares cost and time estimates.
6. Plans and executes audiovisual and photography assignments according to general or specific instructions. Prepares designs using graphic software, data-processing software and specialized tools.
7. Coordinates and prepares equipment and materials for assignments.
8. Takes photographs and operates a darkroom. Develops films and edits images. Produces prints of professional quality.
9. Arranges posters, photographs, etc. for display purposes.
10. Delivers, installs and operates audiovisual equipment. Troubleshoots and provides technical support to users.
11. Acts as resource person, resolves problems and instructs others. Provides technical guidance and assistance concerning work methods, the operation of a wide range of audiovisual equipment and related techniques.
12. Oversees equipment loans and sales. Ensures appropriate inventory of equipment and material. Purchases materials and supplies. Evaluates and recommends purchases.
13. Maintains and adjusts equipment. Performs minor repairs. Arranges for servicing and major repairs. Ensures the cleanliness and security of the work area.
14. Maintains and updates database, files, records and processes documents related to activities of the unit.
15. Keeps abreast of new developments in the field to update skills and knowledge.
16. Uses various equipment and instruments such as a camera, enlarger, cutter, duplicator, photocopier, personal computer, photocomposer, calculator, drawing board, illuminated table, printer, digital converter, processor, press and machines for coating, light meter and darkroom equipment.
17. The list of duties and responsibilities outlined above is representative and not a complete and detailed list of tasks, which may be performed by an employee whose position has been matched to this generic job description.
DEC III (Multimedia or Graphic Design or related field)
Three (3) years' related experience.