Generic Job Description - Chief Animal Science Technician
Under the direction of the immediate supervisor, oversees the day-to-day operations of an animal facility. Organizes, distributes and verifies the work of others and participates in their training. Performs technical and animal husbandry duties related to housing, maintenance, experimental use and breeding of animals. Participates in projects and experiments. Administers medications. Acts as resource person. Maintains records. Maintains equipment.
1. Oversees the day-to-day operations of an animal facility. Organizes, distributes and verifies the work of others and participates in their training.
2. Performs technical duties related to animal husbandry. Participates in projects and experiments.
3. Receives requisitions for animals. Selects, purchases and houses animals in accordance with the specified criteria (age, weight, gender, strain, special handling instructions, etc. ).
4. Verifies and monitors the animals' state of health. Observes and notes their behaviour. Verifies feed consumption. Performs basic examinations.
5. Assumes responsibility for the care, feeding, handling and moving of animals. Verifies and monitors environmental conditions and the hygiene and accommodations of animals.
6. Administers medications and treatments prescribed for animals.
7. Breeds, identifies and segregates animals.
8. Acts as resource person. Resolves problems. Instructs others on procedures and operation of equipment. Provides technical guidance and assistance concerning work methods, the use of equipment and techniques, and the analysis of results.
9. Maintains records pertaining to costs for animals' accommodation animal populations, required supplies, experimental data, etc. Prepares activity reports.
10. Ensures sufficient inventory and purchase of all animal care supplies, equipment and materials. Maintains equipment, performs minor repairs and arranges for service and major repairs.
11. Ensures compliance with safety regulations in the use of equipment. Ensures proper storage, handling and disposal of hazardous materials.
12. Keeps abreast of new developments in the field to update skills and knowledge.
13. Uses a variety of equipment such as feed-mixing equipment, animal handling equipment, eviscerating equipment, breeding equipment, veterinary instruments and computers.
14. The list of duties and responsibilities outlined above is representative and not a complete and detailed list of tasks which may be performed by an employee whose position has been matched to this generic job description.
DEC III (Animal Health Technology or Farm Management Technology)
Three (3) years' related experience.