Financial Administrator (MR7859)
Financial Administrator (FIN1B)
The Faculty of Medicine is embarking on an innovative administrative initiative that will realign its Financial and Human Resources services into Administrative Excellence Centres (AEC). The key mission of the AEC is to raise the bar of excellence in how our clients (academic and administrative) are supported in the fields of human resources, finance and general management. Under the direction of the Financial Officer, the Financial Administrator provides financial administrative and management support for all funds within the AEC’s jurisdiction. As an integral member of the AEC’s Financial Service Team (FST), the Financial Administrator will regularly monitor and report on the financial activity in all funds and ensure compliance to all internal and external policies and regulations. The Financial Administrator will participate in ensuring a smooth functioning of the financial management of departments within the AEC. For research grants, the Financial Administrator’s responsibilities are focused on post award management, and are aligned with the Roles & Responsibilities outlined in the Research Administration guideline. The Financial Administrator will participate in training clients on finance procedures and compliance as required.
- Act as a primary point of contact for Researchers requiring financial / administrative assistance during the post award management of their research funding.
- Communicate University procedures as they apply to research funds to promote compliance with all applicable regulations and policies.
- Provide relevant training to local users and act as a help desk where collaboration is necessary to roll out new systems, processes, or other tools which will facilitate research administration.
- Review fund balances and expiry dates in collaboration with RFMS and OSR for planning purposes and ensure continuity / renewal of FOAPAL accounts where applicable.
- Validate expenditures for compliance with applicable Sponsor terms and conditions and University policies.
- Promote sound record retention practices to PIs to facilitate ease of access and compliance with all regulatory policies for retention of documents.
- Liaise with RFMS for assistance with resolution of fund over-expenditures, filing of financial reports to Sponsors and other relevant information related to research fund activities.
- Remind PIs of reporting deadlines to ensure smooth research activities.
- Assist with the correction of ineligible expenditures charged to grants or other research.
- Perform duties as required by the Financial Officer and to act as backup as required.
Minimum Education & Experience:
Three (3) years' related experience
Other Qualifying Skills And/Or Abilities:
Finance designation is an asset (CMA, CGA). Knowledge of accounting and financial management and experience administering a variety of funds, preparing detailed budgets and familiarity of granting agency regulations. Knowledge of McGill fund types (or other University), including experience working with research grants. Must be service-oriented with excellent customer service skills. Proven ability to effectively communicate and interact with various levels of administrative staff and academics. Proficiency with computerized applications including spread sheets, databases, word-processing software, Banner FIS, Crystal reports. Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills. Demonstrated organizational skills, ability to multi-task, prioritize and meet deadlines. Ability to work autonomously and as part of a team with ability to train staff. Proven success in facilitating and maintaining strong, consistent, and positive communications, oral and written in both English and French.
Reporting To:Senior Project Director, Finance & Administration
Salary Range:(Grade 02) $40,000 - $50,000 (midpoint) $60,000
Faculty/Unit:Faculty of Medicine
Hours Per Week:33.75
Additional Information:This position is totally supported by soft funds.
How To Apply:
Please submit your application online at http://www.mcgill.ca/medhr/positions-available/apply-now. Click on “APPLY NOW” and clearly indicate the reference number.