Pension Administration offers three information sessions to potential and current members of the McGill University Pension Plan as follows:
- Pension Plan Information Session: intended for members of the McGill University Pension Plan as well as newly hired employees contemplating joining the Plan who need answers to the following questions, such as:
- Should I join?
- How much will I have to contribute?
- How much will the University contribute on my behalf?
- What investment options are available to me?
- What is a hybrid pension plan?
- What is the Defined Benefit Minimum Provision?
- How do I make a change to my investment distribution?
- How can I better understand my pension statement?
- Pension Plan Settlement Information Session: intended for members of the McGill University Pension Plan who need additional information on the settlement options available to them at retirement or termination of employment. Topics will include:
- How much will I need at retirement?
- What is a Life-Income Fund (LIF)?
- What is an annuity?
- How do I access my pension holdings online?
- Retirement Information Session: intended for all members of the McGill University Pension Plan; of most interest to those members approaching retirement. The following topics will be covered:
- Understanding the importance of planning for your retirement,
- Understanding the retirement options and decisions you will need to make, and
- Determining if you will have enough sufficient money at retirement.
- Group Life Income Fund Information Session: intended for active and inactive members who are approaching retirement, over age 65, turning age 71 and must convert their holdings. The following topics will be covered:
- Who is eligible?
- What is a Life Income Fund/Retirement Income Fund?
- What are the minimum and maximum withdrawal streams?
- What are the available investment options?
- What are the GLIF/RIF fees?
- How to join.
A complete listing of the upcoming dates/times and locations of these sessions as well as a online registration tool, can be found at http://www.mcgill.ca/hr-webforms/staffdevelopment/. If you are interested in attending any of these sessions, you can register online, by leaving a message on (514) 398-8484 (voicemail only) or by sending an email to reception [dot] pension [at] mcgill [dot] ca. Please indicate the date of the session you would like to attend.
Copies of the slides used in the various presentations are available for your viewing. You are cautioned that the information provided in the various presentations may not adequately address your individual needs and circumstances and does not constitute financial advice. You should also consider obtaining investment advice from an appropriately qualified individual in addition to using any information contained in these presentations.
General Information Session (updated June 2015)
Retirement Information Session (updated June 2015)
Settlement Options Information Session (updated June 2015)