Life events: changing your benefit coverage
As a member of the McGill Benefit Program, you have an opportunity to select your preferred "class" of coverage:
- Single coverage for you alone, or
- Family coverage for you and your eligible spouse and children.
For the most part, your selection will remain in effect unless you experience what is known as a Life Event — specifically:
- Divorce, separation or death of your spouse
- Birth, or adoption of a child.
- Material change in your spouse's benefit coverage.
- Turning age 65
In the following pages, you will find a summary of the impact these life events could have on your benefit coverage. It outlines the actions you need to take in response to these life events... and the consequences for not doing so.