Site navigation (skip):
To register, view your current registration status, or cancel your registration for a course, please sign in using your McGill ID and Minerva PIN. If you do not know your ID and PIN, please contact IST Customer Support Help Desk at 398-3398.
LDP - Leadership Development Program
LDP Supervisor Stream - Staffing 101 & Interviewing at McGill
|***PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS WORKSHOP IS OPEN TO LDP MEMBERS ONLY***
A critical priority for the University is the capacity to attract, retain and reward the best talent. Managers need a comprehensive understanding of their roles and responsibilities in relation to staff in order to meet this objective within their respective units.
In the morning of this one-day workshop, participants will work with Staffing to learn:
• About the particulars of the various categories of positions at McGill and where to find information about policies and procedures that govern them.
• The steps to the selection process, including determining needs, reviewing applications, assessing candidates, scheduling, preparing and conducting interviews, checking references, pre-hiring preparations, making the offer and on-boarding.
• How to manage transfers and terminations, consistently with policies and procedures at McGill.
In the second half of the workshop participants will delve deeper into conducting effective interviews, including how to:
• Organize the interview flow for maximum impact
• Open the interview in a positive manner
• Set the tone for a productive interview
• Develop and articulate questions, focused on the candidate's previous experience, that clearly seek information on the skills and qualifications required
• Apply effective listening skills
• Evaluate candidate's answers accurately
• Avoid common traps of the interviewing process
• Understand the purpose of telephone screening and its proper etiquette
• Understand how to apply interviewing skills in a reference check
• Conduct interviews respectful of Quebec law
Back to course listing.