As of October 2012, McGill’s formerly paper-based graduate application process has been replaced with a more convenient electronic version. For detailed instructions on how to apply and how to upload required supporting documents in the new version, please see: http://www.mcgill.ca/gradapplicants/apply/prepare
Deadlines for Receipt of Completed Applications:
Please note that incomplete applications (including letters of recommendation, testing scores (TOEFL, IELTS), transcripts, sample(s) of written work) by the application deadline will not be considered.
For Fall Admission: January 30 (Canadian/Permanent Resident/International).
For Winter Admission: October 15 (Canadian/Permanent Resident; September 15 (International).
Special/Exchange/Visiting: As above.
Application and Required Documents:
Should you decide to formally apply, all supplemental application materials and supporting documents must be uploaded directly to the McGill admissions processing system (complete instructions: www.mcgill.ca/gradapplicants/apply/submitting-your-documents.
- Online application form.
- Application fee. You must pay a $100 non-refundable fee or your application will not be processed.
- All university transcripts. Those transcripts not in English or French must be accompanied by a certified English or French translation (prepared by a licensed translator).
- Statement of purpose. Applicants are requested to send a brief statement of their interests and the areas they wish to study within the Department (1 to 3 pages).
- Two letters of recommendation. Those letters not in English or French must be accompanied by a certified English or French translation (prepared by a licensed translator). On the application form you must provide the names and email addresses of at least two professors who are familiar with your academic work. McGill will contact these referees and invite them to upload references on your behalf. Please note that although you can list public domain addresses such as Hotmail, Gmail, or Yahoo Mail on the application form, references uploaded from these addresses will not be accepted by the Department. Therefore you must list a valid institutional or corporate e-mail address for your referees.
- One or two samples of written work (in PDF format). This can be in the form of a graded paper, a chapter from a thesis, or an academic article.
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) scores for non-native English applicants. This is a requirement of all students applying whose native language is other than English. Results must be on file by application deadline – Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies no longer process applications without official results. Minimum score of 575 or 231 computer based scale. Please note that permanent residents may be required to submit a TOEFL score. IELTS scores are also acceptable: a band score of 6.5 or greater (Academic module).
Ms. Lynda Bastien
Department of Languages, Literatures, and Cultures
688 Sherbrooke Street West
Montreal, QC, Canada H3A 3R1
E:mail: lynda [dot] bastien [at] mcgill [dot] ca
Phone : (514) 398-4400 ext. 09015