Getting Started and Immigration Procedures
Now that you have been accepted to McGill, you must begin several procedures as soon as possible to ensure a smooth and timely arrival in Montreal for your studies. You need to:
- Reference International Student Services' Pre-Departure Guide
- Begin immigration procedures
- Consult the health insurance policy
- Request a buddy
- Find out more online
Important updates regarding study permits
This is regarding the labour dispute involving Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) Foreign Services officers, affecting the timeliness of Canadian study permit approvals. You may be experiencing significant delays receiving notification of the approval of your study permit. If your study permit approval has been delayed, please read the rest of this message carefully.
Graduate students already registered in graduate programs are encouraged to arrive at McGill to begin their studies by September 17, 2013. If you cannot meet the arrival date of September 17 because of delays experienced in obtaining your visa, please consider the following options:
Important note for US Citizens:
- U.S. citizens can apply for their study permits at the port of entry (border crossing / airport) - no advance application is required. See Guide 5552 - Applying to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada - Student
- If you have submitted an on-line application and have not received the study permit approval letter by the time you enter Canada, you should inform the immigration agent and request to apply again in order to obtain the study permit right at the border crossing. Please bring copies of all the required documents necessary for the Study Permit approval.
Arrangements for all other international students:
- Students experiencing study permit delays can start at McGill as late as September 17, 2013. If you cannot meet this date due to delays, we ask that you contact your graduate department by August 2, 2013 to inquire as to how a further delayed start date might be accommodated without jeopardizing the successful completion of your semester. Please call your department’s graduate program coordinator, administrator or director, or send an email using the subject line: Late study permit issues: [your name and McGill ID number].
- Click here for contact information for graduate departments.
- Cases of students resuming their fall studies after September 17 due to this exceptional circumstance will be assessed on a case by case basis by both the academic program and by the Graduate Admissions Committee.
- In certain cases it will be advised that students defer studies arrival to begin January, 2014 and your department can assist you with this deferral.
Please continue to visit the CIC website for the latest developments in this situation. We look forward to welcoming you to McGill soon and wish you the best of luck!
Graduate Students (Canadian)
The Health and Dental Insurance plan for Canadian graduate students is with the Quebec Student Health Alliance, but negotiated and administered by the Post-Graduate Students' Society (PGSS). For more information about the plan, including how to enroll if you are arriving in January 2011, contact the Insurance Coordinator at the PGSS office by e-mail: info [dot] pgss [at] mail [dot] mcgill [dot] ca or by phone at 514-398-3756.
Alternative Health and Dental Insurance
If you're covered by alternative Health and Dental insurance, you may be able to opt-out of the PGSS Health and Dental Plan and have the fee credited to your student account. Students who opt out of the PGSS Health and Dental plan have to opt out on a yearly basis. The PGSS Health and Dental Plan Opt-Out Period is from: August 2nd to October 1st 2010. For more information please contact the PGSS Insurance Coordinator.
International Students PGSS Dental Plan
The PGSS Dental Plan is charged automatically to full-time international students registered before September 30, 2010.
Part time Graduate students and students wishing to enroll dependants on the plan must do so before October 1,2010. For more information on the PGSS Health and Dental Plan, contact the PGSS Insurance Coordinator by e-mail at info [dot] pgss [at] mail [dot] mcgill [dot] ca or by phone: 514-398-3756
Enrolment and exemption requests for the International Student Health Insurance is handled at Service Point.
Inquiries related to the plan coverage or claims should be directed to International Student Services.
www.mcgill.ca/internationalstudents/health international [dot] health [at] mcgill [dot] ca 514-398-6012
By McGill Senate regulation, ALL international students (full-time, part-time, special, exchange and visiting) and their accompanying dependents are required to participate in the University’s compulsory international student health insurance plan.
Students must confirm their International Health Insurance (IHI) coverage via Minerva by September 30 (January 30 if starting in the Winter term). Please view www.mcgill.ca/internationalstudents/health for details on confirming coverage.
Coverage for students who arrive prior to September 1 (January 1 for the Winter term) will come into effect on the later of the following dates: your date of arrival or August 15 (December 15 for the Winter term). The benefits provided by McGill’s IHI plan can be viewed at www.mcgill.ca/internationalstudents/health/.
Students covered by private health insurance are not exempt from the McGill IHI plan. For students already covered by an international organization, some exemptions may be granted. For details, see www.mcgill.ca/internationalstudents/health/exemption/.
Questions? Contact us!
Canadian Graduate Students info [dot] pgss [at] mail [dot] mcgill [dot] ca 514-398-3756.
International Graduate Students www.mcgill.ca/internationalstudents/health international [dot] health [at] mcgill [dot] ca 514-398-6012
Brown Bldg, Ste 3215
3600 McTavish St.
Attend a live online orientation session
for newly admitted international graduate students from the comfort of your home computer!
Includes: Montreal Overview, Immigration, Health Insurance, Housing, Budgeting, Buddy Program and more
Offered May 7th and June 11th
Includes: Packing, Transportation, Orientation, Campus Resources, Cell phone plans, Banking and more
Offered July 30th and Aug. 6th
Registration opens: July 16, 2013 at 12pm EST
Registration closes: July 28, 2013