As of fall 2012, GPS began offering interactive webinar training sessions for staff, faculty and students. We have traditionally offered training sessions in-person and on-site, but with webinars we can extend our educational reach while continuing to obtain feedback directly from the McGill community.
If you are new to webinars, please see the step by step instructions below.
Why webinars? Feedback from our internal graduate community survey determined that webinars are the preferred platform for information-sharing of this kind. Webinars are user-friendly and it is easy for participants to login and attend. You can listen and participate from your own home or office, asking questions as you would in person. These questions will be answered in real-time, 'live'. An added advantage to the webinar format is accessibility to the recorded session and information at a later date. If you cannot join our webinar at the scheduled time, you will still have access to the sessions ‘on-demand’ as we will be posting them here on this website.
2014 Webinar Calendar
STAFF & FACULTY Sessions
|Staff and faculty:PhD-Health & Medical Sciences (CIHR)||September 2||1:30-3:30 pm|
|Staff and faculty:PhD-Natural Sciences & Engineering (NSERC)||September 4||10:00-11:30 am|
|Staff and faculty:PhD-Social Sciences & Humanities (SSHRC)||September 4||2:30-4:00 pm|
|Staff and faculty:Master's Harmonized (NSERC/SSHRC/CIHR)||October 1||More information to come||More information to come|
|Students:Applying for Your NSERC Doctoral Award||September 8||4:00-5:30 pm||Register online|
|Students:Applying for Your SSHRC Doctoral Award||September 9||4:00-5:30 pm||Register online|
|Students:Applying for Your CIHR Doctoral Award||September 10||1:30-3:00 pm||Register for the webinar for applicants offered by CIHR|
|Students:Would you fund it? Fellowship consultation session||September 23, 24, 25||20 minute sessions by appointment||Log in to myFuture, click 'Events', search keyword 'skillsets', choose your tri-council agency and session date. For each Prof, there are available timeslots in a drop-down menu on the right. Select a timeslot and click RSVP. If there are no times available for Prof A, please try Prof B or Prof C, etc. for your tri-council and/or select an alternative date (3 available).|
|Students:Applying for a Master's Harmonized (NSERC/SSHRC/CIHR) Award||October 1||More information to come||More information to come|
|STAFF & FACULTY Sessions|
|Staff and faculty: PhD Natural Sciences & Engineering (NSERC)||Staff and faculty: PhD NSERC presentation|
|Staff and faculty: Social Sciences & Humanities (SSHRC)||Staff and faculty: PhD SSHRC presentation|
|Staff and faculty: Master’s Harmonized (NSERC/SSHRC/CIHR)||Staff and faculty: Master's presentation|
|Students: Applying for Your NSERC Award (PhD only)||Student PhD NSERC presentation|
|Students: Applying for Your SSHRC Award (PhD only)||Student PhD SSHRC presentation|
|Students: Applying for Your CIHR Award (PhD only)||Student PhD CIHR presentation|
|Applying for a Master’s NSERC/SSHRC/CIHR||Master's Student presentation|
|Staff and faculty: Natural Sciences & Engineering (NSERC)||Staff and faculty: NSERC presentation|
|Staff and faculty: Health & Medical Sciences (CIHR)||Staff and faculty: CIHR presentation|
|Staff and faculty: Social Sciences & Humanities (SSHRC)||Staff and faculty: SSHRC presentation|
|Students: Applying for Your NSERC Award||Student NSERC presentation|
|Students: Applying for Your CIHR Award||Student CIHR presentation|
|Students: Applying for Your SSHRC Award||Student SSHRC presentation|
Step by step instructions on how to register and attend a webinar
The following information will guide you through the steps register and attend a webinar as defined by Engagement Strategies LLC
REGISTER FOR A WEBINAR
- Click the registration link or button provided on a registration Web site or in an invitation email.
- Complete the registration form.
- You will receive an email confirming your registration for the Webinar, along with the option to add the Webinar information to your Outlook® Calendar.
JOIN A WEBINAR
- At the time of the Webinar, open the Webinar confirmation email or Outlook appointment.
- Click the Join Webinar link provided in the confirmation email or Outlook appointment.
- You will see a dialog box that indicates that you are downloading a small application to your machine. It's safe and reliable. It is the software that provides you will access to the webinar. It should only take a few seconds. You may be prompted to allow the application to install. If prompted, click "Yes, Grant or Trust" to accept the download.
- Next you should see either the webinar in progress or a message that indicates that the session has not yet begun with instructions to hold. You may or may not hear sound. If you have internal or external speakers or a headset connected to your computer, you will be able to hear when there's something to hear.
If you do not have speakers, you will need to join the audio portion of the Webinar. Audio information is provided in the Audio pane of the Control Panel, which you will see on the left side of your screen. The audio number and a PIN number will be visible on the control panel. You will need to call the number you see and follow the instructions. These numbers can also be found in the Webinar confirmation and/or reminder emails.
By default, when you log into the session, you will be joined into the Webinar with your microphone (if you have one) muted. That means you can hear the session, but that the presenters and other audience memebers cannot hear you. It is common to not "open the audio" or allow attendees to talk.
OK! You are logged in!
You can listen through your computer speakers or your phone.
- Try to log in 5 - 10 minutes early.
- Be sure to turn off all other applications you may have running during the session. This will improve the performance of the software.
- Adjust the volume on your phone or computer speakers to ensure you can hear well. If you experience trouble with sound, first check your volume, and then switch audio mode (from speakers to phone, or phone to speakers.)
To switch audio formats during a Webinar:
You can switch between using VoIP (Mic & Speakers) or your telephone during the Webinar session.
In the Audio pane, select either Use Telephone or Use Mic & Speakers. If joining via telephone, be sure to enter the Audio PIN noted in your Control Panel.