Due to a labour dispute at Citizenship and Immigration Canada those applying for a work permit should anticipate delays and submit their application as far in advance as possible. Please visit the CIC website for more information. More information about McGill’s plans to assist those whose work permit application approvals have been delayed is forthcoming.
Registration as a postdoctoral fellow is limited to those:
Prior to registering ensure that you are aware of the responsibilities of postdoctoral researchers, supervisors and departments or academic units as outlined in the terms and conditions in your letter of agreement. These terms include policy on leaves of absence, appointment period and compensation.
New postdoctoral fellows
Prospective international postdocs should make sure to read the section on International postdoctoral fellows before beginning the registration process. Individuals who do not meet the requirements for postdoctoral status may be eligible to attend McGill as a postdoctoral research trainee or category of Academic Personnel.
As a new postdoctoral fellow, you are required to submit a complete registration package at the time of your initial registration. All postdoctoral fellows training at McGill University must be appointed by their department and registered with Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (through the Management of Academic Records, Enrolment Services) in order to have access to McGill services and resources for postdoctoral fellows.
Required materials for initial postdoctoral registration
A complete registration package must consist of the following documents and be emailed to studentrecords [at] mcgill [dot] ca (paper applications will not be accepted):
- A completed postdoctoral_registration_form signed by the postdoc and co-signed by the supervisor
- A copy of the Letter of Agreement for Postdoctoral Education (LofA), signed by all parties (postdoc, supervisor, chair/unit head)
- ONE of the following:
- Copy of your valid Work Permit for international postdocs (must indicate McGill University as employer) OR
- Copy of your Canadian Birth Certificate OR
- Copy of your Canadian Citizenship Card OR
- Copy of your Permanent Resident Card (both sides) OR valid Permanent Resident Document (IMM 1000 or 5292)
- ONE of the following:
- A copy of your final transcript (should indicate date Ph.D. degree was granted) – note that we will request an official copy once we confirm your eligibility OR
- A certified/notarized copy of your Ph.D./Medical Specialist Diploma/Certificate OR
- For new graduates, a copy of an official letter issued by the Office of Graduate Studies indicating successful completion of all requirements for the PhD/Doctorate degree. – in cases where final transcript/diploma is yet not available
Note: Any of the above documents must be accompanied by an authentic certified/notarized translation into English or French, where applicable.
- A copy of the Department/Academic Unit letter of offer/invitation. This is the initial letter received from the department or presented to the Canadian Embassy in support of your application for a work permit.
- A Quebec Permanent Code Data Form submitted with the appropriate document(s).
For Medical Specialists the registration submission must also contain the following:
- Proof of successful completion of Medical Specialty Residency training consisting of Medical Specialist Diploma/Certificate/Attestation OR Proof of Residency training (Diploma/Certificate/Attestation)
- The Letter of offer and Letter of Agreement must specify that "The postdoctoral appointment will not involve any clinical service to hospital or medical patients or any form of medical practice in any setting"
You can refer to the checklist_for_postdoctoral_registration to compile your documents but please refer to the list above for complete details.
Complete postdoctoral registration packages should be submitted electronically to studentrecords [at] mcgill [dot] ca (subject: New%20Postdoc%20Fellow%20Registration) (Management of Academic Records), Enrolment Services for processing. Once processing is complete, you will be assigned a McGill ID and will be able to request an ID card. An ID card is required to access many of the benefits, services and resources available to postdocs at McGill.
Returning postdoctoral fellows
After initial registration, all returning postdoctoral fellows are required to renew their registration annually, through the Management of Academic Records, Enrolment Services, for the duration of their stay at McGill.
Materials for returning postdoctoral registration
Postdoctoral fellows must renew their registration before August 1st for the upcoming academic year (September 1 - August 31) and must have the following:
- A valid Letter of Agreement
- For international postdoctoral fellows: a valid Work Permit
Should either of the above documents expire during the academic year, you will only be registered until that expiry date until a new document is provided. The new documents should be emailed to studentrecords [at] mcgill [dot] ca.
To renew registration:
- Complete and submit the Online Request to renew postdoctoral registration
Postdoctoral fellows are registered on a rolling basis throughout the academic year depending on their start date, however, please note that you must submit all the appropriate documentation a minimum of 3 weeks prior to the start of your fellowship in order to ensure your registration is handled in a timely manner.
Upon receipt of a complete submission, the Management of Academic Records Office, Enrolment Services, will process your postdoctoral registration on the McGill Student Information System (Minerva). Reasonable turnaround time will be from 5 to 7 working days provided that the postdoctoral registration submission is, in all respects, complete.
Once your status is updated/your registration is processed, you will receive email notification from Management of Academic Records, Enrolment Services. And you can view your registration (letter of agreement) and eligibility dates on your unofficial transcript in Minerva by accessing Student Menu->Student Records Menu->View Your Unofficial Transcript.