The Graduate Mobility Award encourages graduate students to study and conduct research abroad as part of their McGill degree program by defraying part of the cost of the international experience. The award, funded by the Government of Quebec, is available to all full-time thesis students enrolled in a graduate degree program at McGill who have been approved by their academic unit and Faculty to take part in a mobility opportunity. The mobility award is meant to contribute towards the completion of the student’s thesis. A limited number of Awards are available each year on a competitive basis.
The student must:
- Be enrolled in a graduate degree program at McGill.
- Be registered as a full-time thesis student at the time of travel.
- Have completed one full-time term at the time of application.
- Be in good academic standing.
- Have held an advisory/supervisory committee meeting within 10 months of the departure date.
- Be approved by his/her academic unit and Faculty to take part in a mobility opportunity.
- Be participating in one or more of the following mobility activities, depending on the Faculty/academic unit:
- Research stay at a lab abroad
- Participation in a formal bilateral exchange/research partnership abroad
- Field work abroad
- Once an application is submitted and approved by the academic unit, the unit must create a Travel Registry Form. Students must complete their form before submitting an application to Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies (GPS).
- Conference travel is NOT eligible
* Before applying, McGill students on US Direct loans intending to pursue any portion of their program in the US or a foreign country should refer the Scholarships and Student Aid website to check eligibility and impact this funding will have on their US Direct loan(s).
Determined by the Academic Unit/Faculty.
Award values depend on where the mobility activity takes place, its duration and the availability of funding at the time of application.
How to Apply
- Complete the Graduate Mobility Award Application Form
- Obtain approval signatures from your supervisor and Graduate Program Director (GPD).
- Follow instructions from your Faculty to obtain the approval and signature of the Faculty designate.
- Complete the Travel Registry Form (must first be created by your academic unit administrator).
- Submit a completed online Application Form.
- Submit supporting documents, including:
- One letter of support from McGill supervisor detailing significance of the research activity, location, collaborator(s) (if applicable), and any matching funding
- CV of the applicant
- PrintScreen of the accepted Travel Registry Form (see example)
Note: Upon completion of the travel abroad, students will be requested to complete a short online survey.