Tomlinson Postdoctoral Fellowships
The Tomlinson Postdoctoral Fellowships are recruitment fellowships for new postdoctoral scholars accepted into a postdoctoral research position at any department at McGill University.
Richard H. Tomlinson (PhD '48, McGill University) enjoyed a career in Chemistry that won him national recognition as a university teacher and success as an inventor and entrepreneur. In the year 2000, he created this exceptional series of recruitment student awards with the aim of giving the finest young minds the opportunity to study at McGill University.
Deadline to submit to department: November 1
When November 1st falls on a weekend, the deadline will be the following Monday.
$30,000, renewable annually based on satisfactory progress, to a maximum tenure of 2 years for postdoctoral level.
Eligibility at a glance
COMPETITION year is 2012
AWARD year is 2013-2014 [earliest possible start 01 May 2013, latest possible start January 2014]
- Postdocs may not have received their doctoral degree prior to April 30th of 2008, unless they had a documented interruption in research career due to illness or parenting.
- Candidates must begin postdoctoral research anytime between January 1st of the year following the competition and January 15th if the year after that, in any department at McGill. Candidates who are registered Postdocs at McGill prior to January 1st of competition year, are not eligible. Candidates who begin postdoctoral research between January 1st and April 30th of the year following the competition, will only be eligible to receive Tomlinson Postdoctoral Fellowship funding as of May 1st of that year
- Only applicants with a 1st class academic record (A- or better grade or ≥ 3.70/4.00 in each degree) will be considered.
- There are no citizenship restrictions.
- The Tomlinson Postdoctoral fellowship is offered to NEW postdoctoral scholars to McGill. Postdocs currently enrolled or whose latest degree was completed or in progress at McGill are therefore not eligible. Members of faculty or individuals of Assistant Professor rank at McGill are not eligible. Former McGill students who later completed a graduate degree elsewhere may apply. Visiting students at McGill, who are completing the requirements for a degree from another university may apply.
- In order to hold a Tomlinson Postdoctoral Fellowship, a candidate must be eligible for postdoctoral status, as defined by the Quebec Ministry of Education, for at least one year of tenure. A Postdoc may not register at McGill more than 5 years after the granting of the doctoral degree, taking into account any interruptions in research career due to illness or parenting. See this year’s dates on the Postdoc site at: http://www.mcgill.ca/gps/postdocs/.
Guidelines and Forms
- Tomlinson Postdoctoral Fellowship Application Guidelines
- Tomlinson Postdoctoral Fellowship Application Form
- Tomlinson Fellowship Referee Report
- Tomlinson Postdoctoral_Fellowship General_Conditions