Accepting, Activating and Maintaining your Fellowship
Ensure that you have received, and read, the instructions in the notice of your award letter and any communications from Graduate Funding. Review your relevant Award Holder's Guide, as you are responsible for adhering to the policies of your award. Find more instructions below.
Every student receiving an award/fellowship must submit their Direct Deposit information via the Student Accounts Menu on Minerva (in sections "payroll-related" and "student-related"). If you are unable to enter your banking information, please contact: Student Accounts. Incomplete banking or address information will result in delayed payments.
- Tri-Council Doctoral Award and Payment activation
- Vanier CGS Doctoral Award and Payment activation
- CGS Harmonized Masters Award and Payment activation
- Banting Postdoctoral Award and Payment activation
It is important that GPS receives all required forms and documents at least 5 weeks prior to start of award to avoid delays in payment.
- Fund Opening/Renewal Approval Form for External Fellowships and Awards (except NSERC or SSHRC graduate awards).
- Awards including a Research Allowance: During each award year, if your research involves human or animal subjects, you MUST include applicable VALID Ethics and/or Compliance Certificates.
- You must RENEW your award every year at least 30 days before the start date anniversary of your award to avoid delays in payment. (except NSERC or SSHRC awards)
- McGill payment request form - Tri-Council Graduate Award Payment Request (NSERC, SSHRC or CIHR graduate Master's and PhD awards)
- Tri-Council Master's (CGS M) Activation of Award - Form A (Master's awards)
- Tri-Council Doctoral Activation of Award - Request for Instalment and Reinstatement of Award Form (linked from the award holder's guide) *note that GPS-Graduate Funding signs as the "Authorized Institutional Official"
- Copy of proof of Canadian Citizenship or Permanent Residency
- NSERC & SSHRC - Include copy of the Agency's Notice of Award
- CIHR - Include copy of the Agency's Authorization For Funding (sent out following CIHR receipt of Confirmation of Commencement Form)
- If you need to defer the start date of your award later than an available start date: Request for Deferment of Start Date or Interruption of Award form
According to the Agency Award Holder’s Guide, GPS Graduate Funding must confirm your ongoing eligibility each year. To do so we require that you submit a copy of your GPS Graduate Student Research Progress Tracking Form, complete it with required signatures, and return it at least eight weeks prior to the anniversary of your award start date.
Once completed and signed, please submit by email to graduatefunding [dot] gps [at] mcgill [dot] ca
Failure to submit a progress report will result in award payments being suspended until a satisfactory progress report is received.
- General Award Holder's Guide (for McGill Awards and Fellowships)
- NEW Tri-Agency Research Training Award Holder's Guide replaces the following:
- NSERC Award Holder's Guide
- CIHR Award Holder's Guide
- SSHRC Award Holder's Guide
- Graduate and Postdoc Leave of Absence Policy
- For award holders - consult your award holder's guide for instructions and required forms. Forms should be submitted to GPS as soon as your leave has been approved.
- Tri-Council Request for Deferment of Start Date OR Interruption of Award Form