Stavros S. Niarchos Foundation Fellowships
Stavros S. Niarchos Foundation Fellowships for Excellence in Graduate Education
Applicant submits to Academic Unit: March 1st 2014
Academic Unit deadlines for nomination to GPS are: March 7th 2014
Academic Unit quotas
Academic Units may recommend a maximum of one (1).
Eligibility and evaluation
Preference will be given to incoming students
To be eligible, the candidate must
- be a citizen of Greece,
- have permanent resident status in Greece,
- be enrolled in a full-time graduate research program at McGill,
- hold a First Class CGPA as determined by McGill.
|Academic excellence||As demonstrated by past academic results, transcripts, awards and distinctions; Academic record (first class average), Scholarships and awards held, Duration of previous studies, Type of program and courses pursued, Course load, Relative standing (if available)||50%|
As demonstrated by the proposed research; its potential contribution to the advancement of knowledge in the field, and any anticipated outcomes; significance, feasibility, and merit of proposed research, Scholarships and awards held, as well as by the applicant’s research history
As demonstrated by the applicant’s personal statement; candidate’s interest in discovery, and enthusiasm for research, leadership experience, academic and community involvement
|Recommendation of Academic Unit||
As demonstrated by the nomination letter
Note: “Academic Unit” roles usually refers to work led by appointed fellowships coordinator of the Academic Unit
- Student requests transcripts to go to Academic Unit
- Student completes application
- Student submits complete application package to Academic Unit.
- Academic Unit accepts entire application including supporting documents from students in person.
- Academic Unit appends official transcripts, including the transcript key, and official translations where required.
- Academic Unit file review committee reviews files and chooses best two candidates.
- Academic Unit communicates outcomes of their file review to applicants.
- Academic Unit prepares letter of nomination to be signed by Chair or designate.
- Academic Unit scans application package, complete with nomination letter, and submits via email to GPS (instruction on Nomination Form)
- GPS Graduate Funding's file review committee reviews the recommended files and selects the top candidate who will be offered the award. (2014 will have 1 awardee, then 1 new awardee in each of the following years)
- GPS Graduate Funding notifies every applicant (whose application was recommended to GPS by Academic Unit) of the file review outcome.