For more information on PBEEE & DE/DS, including a summary of eligibility criteria, see PBEEE & DE/DS information for applicants.
|July 3||Unit receives PBEEE Eligibility Screening Form and copies of all postsecondary transcripts from applicant|
|July 10||Unit submits screening information to GPS on FAD. Field will become available at the beginning of June|
|July 16||GPS confirms candidate eligibility and pre-selection requirements to Unit on FAD (Unit should confirm eligibility to applicant)|
|July 23||Unit receives pre-selection applications from applicants for review and recommendation at Unit level|
|Aug. 7|| |
Unit SCANS complete (recommended only) pre-selection application packages and submits them to GPS via email gradcomp [dot] gps [at] mcgill [dot] ca and completes FAD
|Sept. 30||Deadline for GPS to submit nominee information electronically to agency|
|Nov. 1||Deadline for nominated candidates submit online application and original, supporting hard-copy documents to Agency|
The PBEEE competition has eleven (11) categories of eligibility. Each unit may recommend one (1) candidate to GPS per competition category (11 categories in total). McGill's quota varies by citizenship.
at each level
DE & DS
Each academic unit may recommend one (1) candidate to GPS in each of the DE & DS competitions. McGill's quota for each competition is two (2).
Eligibility and evaluation
Because of the popularity of this competition, all candidates are screened for basic eligibility before they are assessed on an in-depth, qualitative basis. Eligibility is demonstrated through the information reported by Unit on FAD.
- The DE competition is for doctoral-level students studying in the areas of: Aerospace, New Information and Communications Technologies, New Health Technologies, Genomics or Nanotechnologies.
- The DS competition is for doctoral-level students studying in the areas of: Humanities, Social Sciences, or Arts and Literature.
- PBEEE Eligibility_at-a-glance reference sheet [.pptx]
- DE & DS Eligibility at-a-glance reference sheet [.pptx]
- PBEEE-DE-DS - Number of Terms Calculator [.pdf]
- Units should ensure candidates eligibility based on the criteria available at the FRQNT website "Eligibility conditions and citizenship"
- Doctoral level awards - the FRQNT specifies two different eligibility windows for doctoral awards: (1) if the applicant is admitted to the PhD program with a completed Master's degree, the student is eligible for this award in the first 9 terms of doctoral studies at McGill; (2) if the applicant is a direct-entry or fast-tracked into the PhD program, or if the applicant is initially admitted to PhD 1 (i.e. has not completed a McGill-recognized Master's degree), the student is eligible for this award in terms 7-15 of doctoral studies at McGill.
- Units are expected to calculate and report an accurate CGPA on the Eligibility Screening form in order to ensure ineligible candidates are not included pre-selection process or progress to nomination. Please use the GPA Calculation Guide.
- Unit evaluations should be based the following criteria and weighting available at the FRQNT website ("Evaluation of applications").
- DE & DS: The unit pre-selection process is responsible for designating applications for DE or DS at the time of submission deadline. Applicants not recommended by McGill for the DE or DS are automatically considered for the PBEEE competition in the appropriate doctoral category.
- Pre-selection: If the number of eligible candidates does not exceed the McGill quota in any of the 11 competition categories, those candidates will be exempted from the pre-selection application process. Those applicants will become McGill nominees to the agency in their respective category, and be required to complete the agency’s online application and submit all required documents to the agency by their deadline. Units should only solicit applications from eligible candidates, as determined by the nomination screening process.
- Transcripts: GPS does not require original/certified transcripts for the pre-selection stage of this competition. Please note that candidates who are nominated by McGill to the agency will be responsible for submitting original or certified copies (certified by a Commissioner of Oaths) as supporting documents to their online application to the agency. All transcripts must be in one of Canada’s official languages, or be accompanied by a translation into English or French.
- Agency Website: PBEEE Website