The purpose of the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships is to build world-class research capacity by recruiting top-tier Canadian and international postdoctoral researchers at an internationally competitive level of funding. The objective is to attract and retain top-tier postdoctoral talent, both nationally and internationally, to develop their leadership potential and to position them for success as research leaders of tomorrow, positively contributing to Canada's economic, social and research-based growth through a research-intensive career.
Seventy new two-year fellowships will be awarded annually, distributed equally across Canada's three federal granting agencies: The Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), the Natural Science and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) and the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC).
The value is $70,000 per year (taxable) for two years.
Click here to find out more about the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships and the current competition.
Unique Application Requirements
The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships Program will be distinguished from existing postdoctoral fellowships programs by its emphasis on:
- The synergy between an applicant's individual merit and potential to launch a successful research-intensive career; and
- The host institution's commitment to the research program and environment with which the applicant is to be affiliated. An applicant's application to the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships Program must be completed in full collaboration with the proposed host institution.
Complete details are available at the following websites:
- Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships - The fellowships will be distributed equally across Canada's three federal granting agencies: The Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), the Natural Science and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) and the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC).
Responsibilities and procedures for completing applications
This is a very important and comprehensive document containing key info, deadlines, and more - please read (scholars, faculty, and staff alike):
- Deadline to submit application for Institutional Review (Varies by faculty see Responsibilities and procedures for completing applications – Info Sheet above)
- Please ensure that you generate a PDF of the entire application on ResearchNet and submit that document. You should be able to view and save a PDF without submitting the application.
- Subject line of email: “Banting_Faculty_your surname” (e.g. Banting application_Music_Doe”). It is very important to specify the Faculty to which the supervisor belongs
- Deadline for faculty nominations to be submitted to GPS is September 8, 2014 (NOON)
- Deadline for final submission on ResearchNet is September 24, 2014 (8:00 PM EDT) (Institutionally recommended applicants only)
- Funding Decision Release January 30, 2015