CROSS-CUTTING THEME: Environmental Sustainability
Theme Leader: Chandra Madramootoo (McGill)
CARICOM countries face major environmental challenges that include contamination of freshwater and coastal ecosystems, deforestation, soil erosion and land degradation. The project is designed to address environmental threats linked to soil and water resources in CARICOM.
- The project will provide five reports currently not available in CARICOM:
- A Scan of the Environmental Impacts due to Agriculture;
- Recommendations on Good Agricultural Practices for Food Safety,
- An analysis of climate change on food security in CARICOM,
- A Drought Mitigation Plan,
A technical, economic and institutional framework for implementing Environmental Farm Plans; this will be based on existing Canadian methodologies, adapted for CARICOM.