This plan can be purchased by any full or part-time student, and was designed for those who intend to eat on campus on a regular basis. The base amount to purchase this plan is $1300 per term, but this amount can be topped up at any time. The Saver Meal Plan is tax exempt, which translates to a savings of almost 15%!
As specified by Quebec sales tax laws, some confectionery items are exempt from the Saver Meal Plan. In addition, the Saver Meal Plan is subject to several terms as specified by the federal government in order to be tax exempt.
Terms of the Saver Meal Plan
- The base amount to purchase this plan is $1300 per term. It can be topped up at any time.
- This amount is based on federal governmental rules and regulations for university student tax exempt meal plans. These stipulate that a meal plan must represent at least 10 meals per week, per semester (i.e. 13 weeks). The calculation is based on an average cost of $10 per meal.
- Top up dollars will be credited to the Meal Plan and charged to the student’s account. Top up dollars will be refunded upon request (in the following term only).
- Saver Meal Plans may be purchased until October 1, 2014 n the fall term and until February 1, 2015 in the winter term.
- In accordance with the Retail Sales Act, the voluntary tax-exempt Saver Meal Plan is term-specific and expires at the end of every term.
- Any unused dollars at the end of the term are non-refundable and can't be rolled over into the following term.
- The Saver Meal Plan can be converted into a taxable Commuter Meal Plan at any time prior to the expiration date of the contract, subject to an transactional fee of $50. The taxes saved on the amount spent will be deducted from the remaining balance before the transfer to the taxable meal plan is made.
Purchase the Saver Meal Plan
To consult the Saver Meal Plan contract and to purchase the Saver Meal Plan, go directly to Minerva . Simply click on the Student Accounts Menu and choose Meal Plans. Your plan will be activated within 48 hours and the charge will appear directly on your Student Account.
The Commuter Plan is designed for students, professors, and staff members who occasionally purchase meals or snacks on campus and prefer the convenience of cashless transactions. Meal plans are linked directly to your McGill ID, so you can leave your money at home!
Highlights of the Commuter Meal Plan
- Valid for a period of 3 years.
- The base amount is $200 and can be topped up at any time.
- This Plan is taxable as specified by Quebec sales tax laws.
- This Plan is refundable. Students may also convert this Plan to a non-taxable Saver Meal Plan . Please send your written request to McGill Food and Dining Services and complete the required forms.
- Consult the Commuter Meal Plan Contract 2013-2014 for more information.
Purchase the Commuter Meal Plan
For staff and faculty ONLY: To purchase the Commuter Meal Plan, print and complete the contract and bring it to the MFDS office (University Hall Residence, 3473 University Street: Room 011).
For all students: You can purchase your Commuter Meal Plan directly in Minerva. Simply click on the Student Accounts Menu and choose Meal Plans.Your plan will be activated within 48 hours and the charge will appear directly on your Student Account.
If you run out of food dollars, you simply need to Top Up in Minerva, in the Student Accounts Menu.
Go to Student Accounts Menu
Scroll down to Meal Plans
Choose Top up
Some points to remember:
- The amount must be in whole dollars
- The amount must be a minimum of $25 and cannot exceed $800 on any given day
- The amount will be charged to your student fee account
After you make a deposit the funds will usually be available within 24 hours.
PLEASE NOTE: An "AK" code may appear. What does it mean?
An AK hold is assigned to your record initially when you have unpaid meal plan charges overdue (i.e. you did not pay them by the due date) AND your overall balance is greater than $100.
Even if you pay your meal plan charges fully, you may still have an AK hold as it will not be deleted unless your overall balance is less than $100.
This hold prevents you from topping up your Meal Plan balance through Minerva or subscribing to a Voluntary Meal plan until your overall balance is less than $100.
Note that only charges that are past due are considered in the overall balance for the purpose of this calculation. Please contact the Student Accounts Office at (514) 398-7878 or via email at student [dot] accounts [at] mcgill [dot] ca for more information.
Commuter Meal Plan: Any top up balance leftover at the end of the fall or winter terms will automatically be transferred to the following semester for the duration of the three year contract unless written request for a refund is submitted to McGill Food and Dining Services. A $25.00 minimum amount is required.
Saver Meal Plan: Any top up balance leftover at the end of either the Fall or Winter term will be automatically credited to your Student Account.