THE SAVER MEAL PLAN
MORE & Solin students: to sign up, please submit this form. You will receive an email confirmation with details of the plan once you are officially signed up.
This plan can be purchased by any full or part-time student, and was designed for those who intend to eat on campus on a regular basis. The base amount to purchase this plan is $1300 per term, but this amount can be topped up at any time. The Saver Meal Plan is tax exempt, which translates to a savings of almost 15%!
As specified by Quebec sales tax laws, some confectionery items are exempt from the Saver Meal Plan. In addition, the Saver Meal Plan is subject to several terms as specified by the federal government in order to be tax exempt.
How to Purchase:
Go directly to Minerva
Navigate to: Student menu
> Student Accounts menu
> Meal Plans Menu
> Voluntary Meal Plans Menu
> Saver Meal Plan
- The base amount to purchase this plan is $1300 per term. It can be topped up at any time.
- This amount is based on federal governmental rules and regulations for university student tax exempt meal plans. These stipulate that a meal plan must represent at least 10 meals per week, per semester (i.e. 13 weeks). The calculation is based on an average cost of $10 per meal.
- Top up dollars will be credited to the Meal Plan and charged to the student’s account. Top up dollars will be refunded upon request (in the following term only).
- In accordance with the Retail Sales Act, the voluntary tax-exempt Saver Meal Plan is term-specific and expires at the end of every term.
- Any unused dollars at the end of the Fall term can be converted into oneCard dollars by December 1st. Any unused dollars at the end of the Winter term can be converted into oneCard dollars by April 1st. You must send an email to food.fds [at] mcgill.ca.
- Please note that all taxes that you saved during the semester while on the Saver Meal Plan will be charged back to the amount consumed and the balance will be transferred into oneCard dollars. As such, you will need to have a minimum balance of $250.00. A $50 transactional fee applies.
- Please note: you cannot purchase a Saver Meal Plan after October 1st (fall semester) or February 1st (winter semester).
- Your balance will appear on your receipt.
Staying within budget:
To stay within budget while getting a balanced meal, we recommend planning your meals around the hot menu du jour. The menu du jour is a complete and nutritious meal that's prepared daily. View the Manage your Account section for more information.
To consult the Saver Meal Plan contract and to purchase the Saver Meal Plan, go directly to Minerva . Simply click on the Student Accounts Menu and choose Meal Plans. Your plan will be activated within 48 hours and the charge will appear directly on your Student Account.
An AK hold is assigned to your record initially when you have unpaid meal plan charges overdue (i.e. you did not pay them by the due date) AND your overall balance is greater than $100.
Even if you pay your meal plan charges fully, you may still have an AK hold as it will not be deleted unless your overall balance is less than $100.
This hold prevents you from topping up your Meal Plan balance through Minerva or subscribing to a Voluntary Meal plan until your overall balance is less than $100.
Note that only charges that are past due are considered in the overall balance for the purpose of this calculation. Please contact the Student Accounts Office at (514) 398-7878 or via email at student.accounts [at] mcgill.ca for more information.
Any top up balance leftover at the end of either the Fall or Winter term will be automatically credited to your Student Account.
You can also purchase food and beverages on campus with oneCard, a taxable account that can be added to your McGill ID card. For everything you need to know about oneCard, visit www.mcgill.ca/onecard