Would you like to take advantage of the convenience offered by the Mandatory Meal Plan? Choose the Saver Meal Plan and enjoy all of the benefits of letting us do the cooking!
THE SAVER MEAL PLAN
This plan can be purchased by any full or part-time student, and was designed for those who intend to eat on campus on a regular basis. The base amount to purchase this plan is $1300 per term, but this amount can be topped up at any time. The Saver Meal Plan is tax exempt, which translates to a savings of almost 15%!
As specified by Quebec sales tax laws, some confectionery items are exempt from the Saver Meal Plan. In addition, the Saver Meal Plan is subject to several terms as specified by the federal government in order to be tax exempt.
- The base amount to purchase this plan is $1300 per term. It can be topped up at any time.
- This amount is based on federal governmental rules and regulations for university student tax exempt meal plans. These stipulate that a meal plan must represent at least 10 meals per week, per semester (i.e. 13 weeks). The calculation is based on an average cost of $10 per meal.
- Top up dollars will be credited to the Meal Plan and charged to the student’s account. Top up dollars will be refunded upon request (in the following term only).
- In accordance with the Retail Sales Act, the voluntary tax-exempt Saver Meal Plan is term-specific and expires at the end of every term.
- Any unused dollars at the end of the Fall term can be converted into oneCard dollars by December 1st. Any unused dollars at the end of the Winter term can be converted into oneCard dollars by April 1st. You must send an email to food [dot] fds [at] mcgill [dot] ca.
- Please note: you cannot purchase a Saver Meal Plan after October 1st (fall semester) or February 1st (winter semester).
Staying within budget:
To stay within budget while getting a balanced meal, we recommend planning your meals around the hot menu du jour. The menu du jour is a complete and nutritious meal that's prepared daily.
Grill items, sushi, deluxe cakes and desserts are all items that can add up if eaten on a regular basis. Don't make these part of your regular rotation unless you plan on topping up your Meal Plan during the semester.
Pay attention to your beverage choices. Bottled specialty drinks increase your total bill quickly. In fact, some of these drinks retail at almost half of the price of a full meal! Remember, tap water is available at every dining hall and it's free!
Save 25 cents on coffee every time you bring a reusable mug.
Enjoy weekly $5 Meatless Monday dishes in all 5 dining halls.
Pick up a hearty $5 breakfast every Friday in all 5 dining halls.
Hot entrees start at only $7.49 and include 2 sides (steamed vegetables and salad bar).
To consult the Saver Meal Plan contract and to purchase the Saver Meal Plan, go directly to Minerva . Simply click on the Student Accounts Menu and choose Meal Plans. Your plan will be activated within 48 hours and the charge will appear directly on your Student Account.
PLEASE NOTE: An "AK" code may appear. What does it mean?
An AK hold is assigned to your record initially when you have unpaid meal plan charges overdue (i.e. you did not pay them by the due date) AND your overall balance is greater than $100.Even if you pay your meal plan charges fully, you may still have an AK hold as it will not be deleted unless your overall balance is less than $100.
This hold prevents you from topping up your Meal Plan balance through Minerva or subscribing to a Voluntary Meal plan until your overall balance is less than $100.Note that only charges that are past due are considered in the overall balance for the purpose of this calculation. Please contact the Student Accounts Office at (514) 398-7878 or via email at student [dot] accounts [at] mcgill [dot] ca for more information.
Any top up balance leftover at the end of either the Fall or Winter term will be automatically credited to your Student Account.
You can also purchase food and beverages on campus with oneCard, a taxable account that can be added to your McGill ID card. For everything you need to know about oneCard, visit www.mcgill.ca/onecard