Quick Links

Managing your plan

On this page:
Money mattersLost ID cards | Moving



Money matters

Staying within budget

  • To stay within budget while getting a balanced meal, we recommend planning your meals around the hot menu du jour. The menu du jour is a complete and nutritious meal that's prepared daily.
  • Grill items, sushi, deluxe cakes and desserts are all items that can add up if eaten on a regular basis. Don't make these part of your regular rotation unless you plan on topping up your Meal Plan during the semester.
  • Pay attention to your beverage choices. Bottled specialty drinks increase your total bill quickly. In fact, some of these drinks retail at almost half of the price of a full meal! Remember, tap water is available at every dining hall and it's free!

Checking your account balance

Your balance is listed on the receipt each time you make a purchase. Also, to help you "budget" your meal dollars, there is a chart with projected remaining weekly dollar balances posted on the information board in the dining hall. 

Topping up your account

If you run out of food dollars, you simply need to Top Up in Minerva, in the Student Accounts Menu. After you go to the Student Accounts Menu, scroll down to Meal Plans, and then "Choose Top Up."

The amount must be in whole dollars. Some points to remember:

  • The amount must be a minimum of $25 and cannot exceed $800 on any given day
  • The amount will be charged to your student fee account

It's important to note that any TOP UPS can be fully refunded at any time. Simply contact the Food and Dining Service Center or request your refund through our on-line feedback form.

After you make a deposit the funds will usually be available within 24 hours.


PLEASE NOTE: An "AK" code may appear. What does it mean?

An AK hold is assigned to your record initially when you have unpaid meal plan charges overdue (i.e. you did not pay them by the due date) AND your overall balance is greater than $100.

Even if you pay your meal plan charges fully, you may still have an AK hold as it will not be deleted unless your overall balance is less than $100.

This hold prevents you from topping up your Meal Plan balance through Minerva or subscribing to a Voluntary Meal plan until your overall balance is less than $100.

Note that only charges that are past due are considered in the overall balance for the purpose of this calculation. Please contact the Student Accounts Office at (514) 398-7878 or via email at student [dot] accounts [at] mcgill [dot] ca for more information.


Mandatory Residential Meal Plans are non-refundable. However, if you leave Residences, move to Off-Campus Housing, Solin or MORE Houses, or withdraw from the university before the end of your lease, you will receive a prorated reimbursement of your food dollars, calculated on a weekly basis, for the time you were assigned a room in residence. Any funds carried forward from the fall semester to the winter semester are not included in the pro-rated calculations. A $50 transactional fee applies.

The residential administration fees are non-refundable except for departures or withdrawals made at the beginning of the fall or winter semesters, that is, in the month of September and in the month of January, for new arrivals only.

A pro-rated calculation of the administration fees will be done on a weekly basis and a transactional fee of $50 will apply in both cases.

At the end of fall semester, the remaining balance is carried forward to the winter semester. Mandatory Residential Meal Plans expire at the end of the year. However, any balances leftover in the home base and /or flex accounts after this date will be transferred to a Rollover PlanIn both cases, a $50 minimum amount is required.


Lost ID Cards

In case of loss or theft of your ID card, the first thing you should do is contact McGill Security Services at 514-398-4556 to inform them that your card is lost. If you happen to be right near Service Point, you should visit them immediately to replace your card. If you cannot make it to Service Point right away, it is important that you call Security to alert them. Your card will be suspended and you'll be issued a replacement. Once you have your new ID card, all the funds that were in your old card will be transferred to your new one. 


Out of residence

If you move out of residence you cannot continue to use your Mandatory Meal Plan. Providing you remain a student at the University, however, your Mandatory Residential Meal Plan can be converted to a voluntary Commuter or Saver Meal Plan. Contact us for more information. 

Moving to another residence

Your Mandatory Residential Meal Plan will be transfered with you when you move to another residence associated with the Mandatory Residential Meal Plans. A $50 administration fee applies when the change involves modifying your home based account. Please note, Off Campus Housing and Solin Hall have voluntary meal plans.