Department of Food Science and Agricultural Chemistry
Macdonald Campus, McGill University
Ste Anne de Bellevue, Quebec
Email: Salwa [dot] karboune [at] mcgill [dot] ca
Ph.D. - Food Biotechnology (Biocatalysis) University of Marseille, France 2003
D.E.A equivalence (Diploma of Advanced Studies) - Applied Chemistry, University of Marseille, France 1998
M.Sc. - Food Science Engineering, Institut Agronomique et Vétérinaire Hassan II, Rabat, Morocco 1998
B.Sc. - Food Science, Institut Agronomique et Vétérinaire Hassan II, Rabat, Morocco 1996
Food Packaging (FDSC 400)
Food Product Development (FDSC 405)
Sensory Evaluation of Foods (FDSC 504)
Membership in Professional and Scientific Associations
- American Oil Chemists' Society (AOCS)
- Institute of Food Technologists (IFT)
- Canadian Institute of Food Science and Technology (CIFST)
- European Club of Bioconversion and Organic Synthesis (CBSO)
Our research program is at the interface of several areas including enzyme technology, food chemistry and nanotechnology. Our research group has expertise in the synthesis of bioactive molecules, modulation of enzyme properties at molecular level, development of efficient nanobiocatalysts and structural analyses.
Our main goal is the development of innovative biocatalytic approaches for (a) the synthesis of well-defined bioactive molecules for use as functional ingredients and nutraceuticals, (b) the structural modification of existing bioactive molecules into suitable functional ingredients and (c) the biogeneration of highly valuable health-promoting ingredients from abundant unexploited by-products.
Current projects, under-investigation in our laboratory, are listed here below.
- Development of an innovative enzymatic glycosylation strategy based on levansucrase-catalyzed transfructosylation reactions for the synthesis of hetero-fructooligosaccharides and polyfructosides having enhanced prebiotic effects and other physiological properties.
- Investigation of the synergetic actions of levansucrase and fructanase for the enrichment of maple products with controlled-molecular-size β-(2-6)-fructooligosaccharides with high colonic persistent prebiotic activity.
- Exploration of the properties of selected biocatalysts immobilized on nanoparticles in a little-explored transitional region between heterogeneous and homogeneous catalysis.
- The regioselective acylation of oligosaccharides with phenolic acids by feruloyl esterase using nano-emulsion systems to produce phenolated oligosaccharides.
- Modulation and optimization of the glycation of selected proteins (lysozyme, Potato Proteins) with mono-, oligo- and polysaccharides to improve their physico-chemical and functional properties.
- Development of innovative biocatalytic approaches for the biogeneration of polysaccharides, proteins and non-digestible oligosaccharides from potato by-products.
The results of these projects have implications in various fields as biotechnology, food science, industrial processing and pharmaceutical science.
Current Lab Members
Maryam Khodadadi (Post-Doctoral Fellow)
Amanda Waglay (PhD Student)
Feng Tian (PhD Candidate)
Nastaran Khodaei (PhD Candidate)
Seo Sooyoun (PhD Candidate)
Juan Tamayo Cabezas (PhD Student)
Neeyal Appanah (MSc Student)
Andrea Hill (Msc student)
Mengxi Li (MSc Student)
Abser Imam (Research Assistant)
Afshan Khan (Undergraduate Student)
Alexis Chatagnier (undergraduate Student)
Shi He (Undergraduate Student/Research Assistant)
Funding for our research is generously provided by the following agencies:
- Canada Foundation for Innovation (CFI)
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC)
- Ministère de l'Agriculture, des Pêcheries et de l'Alimentation (MAPAQ)
- Le fonds québécois de la recherche sur la nature et les technologies (FQRNT)
Selected Recent Publications
Tian, F. and Karboune, S. (2012). Enzymatic synthesis of fructooligosaccharides by levansucrase from Bacillus amyloliquefaciens: specificity, kinetics, and product characterization J. Mol. Catal. B: Enz 82, 71-79.
Sooyoun, S., Karboune, S., Yaylayan, V. and L'Hocine, L. (2012) Glycation of lysozyme with galactose, galactooligosaccharides and potato galactan through the Maillard reaction and optimization of the production of prebiotic glycoproteins. Process Biochem. 47, 297-304.
Sorour, N., Karboune, S., St-Louis. R. and Kermasha, S. (2012) Lipase-Catalyzed Synthesis Of Structured Phenolic Lipids In Solvent-Free Medium Using Flaxseed Oil And Selected Phenolic Acids As Substrate. J. Biotechnol. 158, 128-136.
Sorour, N., Karboune, S., St-Louis. R. and Kermasha, S. (2012) Enzymatic Synthesis Of Phenolic Lipids In Solvent-Free Medium Using Flaxseed Oil And 3,4-Dihydroxyphenyl Acetic Acid. Process Biochem. (available online)
Tian, F., Inthanavong, L., and Karboune, S. (2011) Purification and characterization of levansucrases from Bacillus amyloliquefaciens in intra- et extracellular forms useful for the synthesis of levan and fructooligosaccharides. Biosc. Biotechnol. Biochem. 75, 1929-1938.
Couto, J., St-Louis, R. and Karboune, S. (2011) Optimization of féruloyl esterase-catalyzed synthesis of feruloylated oligosaccharides by response surface methodology. J. Mol. Catal. B: Enz. 73, 53-62.
Couto, J, Karboune, S. and Mathew, R. (2010) Regioselective synthesis of feruloylated glycosides using selected commercial multienzymatic preparations as biocatalysts. Biocatal. Biotransform. 4, 235-244.
Karboune, S., Archelas, A. and Baratti,. J. C. (2010) Aspergillus niger epoxide hydrolase-catalyzed the hydrolytic kinetic resolution of racemic p-chlorostyrene oxide in a neat organic solvent medium. Process Biochem. 45, 210-216.