Dr. Hosahalli S. Ramaswamy, Professor
Department of Food Science and Agricultural Chemistry
Macdonald Campus, McGill University
Ste Anne de Bellevue, Quebec
Email: hosahalli [dot] ramaswamy [at] mcgill [dot] ca
Tel.: 514-398 7919
Fax: 514-398 7977
PhD Food Science, University of BC, Vancouver, BC, Canada 1983
MSc Food Science, University of BC, Vancouver, BC, Canada 1980
MSc Food Technology, CFTRI, Mysore, India 1972
BSc Bangalore University, India 1970
Undergraduate Courses: Postharvest Fruit and Vegetable Technology (FDSC 310), Food Processing (FDSC 330)
Graduate Course: Advanced Food Processing (FDSC 519)
Dr. Ramaswamy has developed a strong research program at McGill in the primary areas of thermal processing and food system rheology. Research activities include overpressure thermal processing of foods in thin profile flexible and semi-rigid containers in still and rotary autoclaves, continuous aseptic processing of particulate low acid foods, food quality optimization through the use of minimal processing and packaging (MAP) technologies, application of microwaves for food processing and drying, evaluation of thermophysical properties of foods and food system rheology. Recent research thrust includes non-thermal preservation technologies, especially the ultra-high pressure process (UHP) establishment and verification, ohmic heating and the use of artificial intelligence (ANN) for characterizing and modeling food processing and quality.
Membership in professional and scientific associations
- Institute of Food Technologists (IFT)
- Canadian Institute of Food Science and Technology (CIFST)
- Institute for Thermal Processing Specialists (IFTPS)
- American Society of Agricultural Engineering (ASAE)
- Canadian Society of Agricultural Engineering (CSAE)
Selected recent publications
Dwivedi, M., & Ramaswamy, H. S. (2009). Comparison of heat transfer rates during thermal processing under end-over-end and axial modes of rotation. Lwt-Food Science and Technology, 43(2), 350-360.
Taherian, A. R., & Ramaswamy, H. S. (2009). Kinetic Considerations of Texture Softening in Heat Treated Root Vegetables. International Journal of Food Properties, 12(1), 114-128.
Saguer, E., Alvarez, P., Sedman, J., Ramaswamy, H. S., & Ismail, A. A. (2009). Heat-induced gel formation of plasma proteins: New insights by FTIR 2D correlation spectroscopy. Food Hydrocolloids, 23(3), 874-879.
Ramaswamy, H. S., Jin, H., & Zhu, S. M. (2009). Effects of fat, casein and lactose on high-pressure destruction of Escherichia coli K12 (ATCC-29055) in milk. Food and Bioproducts Processing, 87(C1), 1-6.
Ochoa-Martinez, C. I., Ramaswamy, H. S., & Ayala-Aponte, A. A. (2009). Suitability of crank's solutions to fick's second law for water diffusivity calculation and moisture loss prediction in osmotic dehydration of fruits. Journal of Food Process Engineering, 32(6), 933-943.
Mitra, P., Ramaswamy, H. S., & Chang, K. S. (2009). Pumpkin (Cucurbita maxima) seed oil extraction using supercritical carbon dioxide and physicochemical properties of the oil. Journal of Food Engineering, 95(1), 208-213.
Houjaij, N., Dufresne, T., Lachance, N., & Ramaswamy, H. S. (2009). Textural Characterization of Pureed Cakes Prepared for the Therapeutic Treatment of Dysphagic Patients. International Journal of Food Properties, 12(1), 45-54.
Ahmed, J., Varshney, S. K., Zhang, J. X., & Ramaswamy, H. S. (2009). Effect of high pressure treatment on thermal properties of polylactides. Journal of Food Engineering, 93(3), 308-312.
Ahmed, J., Varshney, S. K., & Ramaswamy, H. S. (2009). Effect of high pressure treatment on thermal and rheological properties of lentil flour slurry. Lwt-Food Science and Technology, 42(9), 1538-1544.
Ahmed, J., Seyhun, N., Ramaswamy, H. S., & Luciano, G. (2009). Dielectric properties of potato puree in microwave frequency range as influenced by concentration and temperature. International Journal of Food Properties, 12(4), 896-909.
Zhu, S., Naim, F., Marcotte, M., Ramaswamy, H.S., and Shao, Y. 2008. High-pressure destruction kinetics of Clostridium sporogenes spores in ground beef at elevated temperatures. International Journal of Food Microbiology, 126 (1-2):86-92
317. Maftoonazad, N., Ramaswamy, H.S. and Marcotte, M. 2008. Shelf-life extension of peaches through sodium alginate and methyl cellulose edible coatings. International Journal of Food Science and Technology. 43(6): 951- 957.
316. Ramaswamy, H.S., Zaman, S.U. and Smith, J.P. 2008. High pressure destruction kinetics of Escherichia coli (O157:H7) and Listeria monocytogenes (Scott A) in a fish slurry. Journal of Food Engineering. 87(1): 99-106.
315. Marcotte, M. Chen, C.R., Grabowski, S., Ramaswamy, H. S. and Piette, J.P.G. 2008. Modelling of cooking-cooling processes for meat and poultry products. International Journal of Food Science and Technology, 43(4):673-684
314. Taherian, A.R., Fustier, P. and Ramaswamy, H.S. 2008. Steady and dynamic shear rheological properties, and stability of non-flocculated and flocculated beverage cloud emulsions. International Journal of Food Properties, 11(1):24-43.
313. Ahmed, J. Ramaswamy, H. S. and Raghavan, G. S. V. 2008. Dielectric properties of soybean protein isolate dispersions as a function of concentration, temperature and pH. LWT-FOOD SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY. 41(1): 71- 81.
312. Ahmed, J. and Ramaswamy, H.S. 2007. Dynamic and steady shear rheology of fruit puree based baby foods. Journal of Food Science and Technology-Mysore, 44(6):579- 585.
311. Azarpazooh, E., Azad, N.M., Ramaswamy, H.S. 2007. Rheology of food puree. Stewart Postharvest Review, 3(6), December 2007 , pp. 1-6.
310. Meng, Y. and Ramaswamy, H.S. 2007. System variables affecting heat transfer in a canned particle in Newtonian fluid system during end-over-end rotation. LWT-FOOD SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, 40(7): 1240-1245.
309. Ahmed, J., Ramaswamy, H. S. and Raghavan, G. S. V. 2007. Dielectric properties of butter in the MW frequency range as affected by salt and temperature. JOURNAL OF FOOD ENGINEERING. 82(3): 351-358.
308. Ochoa-Martinez, C. I., Ramaswamy, H. S. and Ayala-Aponte, A. A. 2007. A comparison of some mathematical models used for the prediction of mass transfer kinetics in osmotic dehydration of fruits. DRYING TECHNOLOGY. 25(10): 1613-1620.
307. Ochoa-Martinez, CI; Ramaswamy, HS; Ayala-Aponte, AA. 2007b. ANN-based models for moisture diffusivity coefficient and moisture loss at equilibrium in osmotic dehydration process. Drying Technology, 25 (4-6): 775-783.
306. Maftoonazad, N; Ramaswamy, HS; Marcotte, M. 2007. Evaluation of factors affecting barrier, mechanical and optical properties of pectin-based films using response surface methodology. Journal of Food Process Engineering, 30 (5): 539-563.
305. Chen, CR; Ramaswamy, HS. 2007. Visual Basics computer simulation package for thermal process calculations. Chemical Engineering and Processing, 46 (7), 603-613.
304. Awuah, GB; Ramaswamy, HS; Economides, A. 2007. Thermal processing and quality: Principles and overview. Chemical Engineering and Processing. 46(6), 584-602.
303. Shao, Y; Ramaswamy, HS; Zhu, S. 2007. High-pressure destruction kinetics of spoilage and pathogenic bacteria in raw milk cheese. Journal of food Process Engineering, 30(3): 357-374.
302. Ahmed, J. Ramaswamy, H.S., Ayad A, Alli, I., Alvarez, P. 2007. Effect of high-pressure treatment on rheological, thermal and structural changes of Basmati rice flour slurry, Journal of Cereal Science, 46, 148-156.
301. Ahmed, J. Ayad A, Ramaswamy, H.S., Alli, I and Shao, Y. 2007. Dynamic viscoelastic behavior of high pressure treated soybean protein isolate dispersions. International Journal of Food Properties.10,397-411.
300. Ahmed, J., Ramaswamy, H.S. and Raghavan, G.S.V. 2007. Dielectric Properties of Indian Basmati Rice Flour Slurry. J. Food Engineering, 80(4): 1125-1133.
299. Alvarez, PA, Ramaswamy, HS and Ismail, AA. 2007. Effect of High Pressure Treatment on the electrospray ionization mass spectrometry (ESI-MS) profile of whey proteins. Int. Dairy Journal, 17: 881-888.298. Patazca E., Koutchma, T., and Ramaswamy, H.S., 2006. Inactivation kinetics of Geobacillus stearothermophilus spores in water using high-pressure processing.
297. Taherian, AR, Fustier, P and Ramaswamy, HS. 2007. Effects of added weighting agent and xanthan gum on stability and rheological properties of beverage cloud emulsions formulated using modified starch. JOURNAL OF FOOD PROCESS ENGINEERING, 30 (2): 204-224.
296. Ochoa-Martinez, CI, Ramaswamy, HS and Ayala-Aponte, AA. 2007. Artificial neural network modeling of osmotic dehydration mass transfer kinetics of fruits. DRYING TECHNOLOGY, 25 (1-3): 85-95 2007.
295. Zhu, S, Ramaswamy, HS, Marcotte, M, Chen, C, Shao, Y and Le Bail, A. 2007. Evaluation of thermal properties of food materials at high pressures using a dual-needle line-heat-source method. JOURNAL OF FOOD SCIENCE, 72 (2): E49-E56.
294. Maftoonazad, N, Ramaswamy, HS, Moalemiyan, M and Kushalappa, AC. 2007. Effect of pectin-based edible emulsion coating on changes in quality of avocado exposed to Lasiodiplodia theobromae infection. CARBOHYDRATE POLYMERS, 68 (2): 341-349.
293. Meng, Y and Ramaswamy, HS. 2007. Effect of system variables on heat transfer to canned particulate non-Newtonian fluids during end-over-end rotation. FOOD AND BIOPRODUCTS PROCESSING, 85 (C1): 34-41.
292. Meng, Y and Ramaswamy, HS. 2007. Dimensionless heat transfer correlations for high viscosity fluid-particle mixtures in cans during end-over-end rotation. JOURNAL OF FOOD ENGINEERING, 80 (2): 528-535.
291. Meng, Y and Ramaswamy, HS. 2007. : Visualization of particle/liquid movements in high viscous fluids during end-over-end rotation. JOURNAL OF FOOD ENGINEERING, 80 (2): 545-552.
290. Ahmed, J, Ramaswamy, HS, Alli, I and Raghavan, GSV. 2007. Protein denaturation, rheology, and gelation characteristics of radio-frequency heated egg white dispersions. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF FOOD PROPERTIES, 10 (1): 145-161 2007.
289. Chen, CR, Zhu, SM, Ramaswamy, HS, Marcotte, M and Le Bail. 2007. Computer simulation of high pressure cooling of pork. JOURNAL OF FOOD ENGINEERING, 79 (2): 401-409
288. Ahmed, J, Ramaswamy, HS and Sashidhar, KC. 2007. Rheological characteristics of tamarind (Tamarindus indica L.) juice concentrates. LWT-FOOD SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, 40 (2): 225-231 2007
287. Ahmed, J and Ramaswamy, HS. 2007. Dynamic rheology and thermal transitions in meat-based strained baby foods. JOURNAL OF FOOD ENGINEERING, 78 (4): 1274-1284
286. Taherian, A.R., P. Fustier and H,S. Ramaswamy. 2006. Effect of added oil and modified starch on rheological properties, droplet size distribution, opacity and stability of beverage cloud emulsions. J. Food Engineering. 77(3):687-696.