Department of Food Science and Agricultural Chemistry
Macdonald Campus, McGill University
Ste. Anne de Bellevue, Quebec
Email: frederik [dot] vandevoort [at] mcgill [dot] ca
PhD Food Science University of British Columbia 1977
MSc Food Science University of British Columbia 1974
BSc Food Science University of British Columbia 1972
Dr. van de Voort's main interest is the development of analytical techniques based on the use of Fourier Transform Infrared (FTIR) spectroscopy; in particular related to the rapid analysis of edible oils and lubricants. He and Dr. Ismail co-direct the McGill IR Group, a unique center of excellence dedicated to infrared spectroscopy of biological and food systems. Dr. van de Voort specializes in the development of rapid mid-FTIR and FT-NIR analytical methods for industrial applications, integrating advanced chemometrics, hardware and software to package analytical solutions. FTIR methodology development has focused on edible fats and oils, the analytical concepts having been extended to lubricants for condition monitoring applications. Methods developed include iodine value (IV), cis/trans analysis, peroxide value (PV) and free fatty acids (FFA) for edible oils, while for lubricants, methods for total acid number (TAN), total base number (TBN) and moisture have been developed.
Membership in professional and scientific associations
- Professional Member of Canadian Institute of Food Science and Technology (CIFST)
- Institute of Food Technologists (IFT)
- American Oil Chemists' Society (AOCS)
- Association of Official Analytical Chemists (AOAC)
Selected recent publications
(176) Sedman, J., Gao, L., García-González, D., Ehsan S. and van de Voort, F. R. (2010) Determining nutritional labeling data for fats and oils by 1H NMR European Journal of Lipid Science and Technology, Volume 112 (4), pp 439-451
(175) Li, D., Garcia-Gonzales, D.L., and van de Voort. F.R. (2009). Automated Acid Number Determination in Lubricants by FTIR Spectroscopy. ASTM International Journal. 2009 6(6), 1-12.
(174) Garcia-Gonzalez, Diego L.; van De Voort, Frederik R. (2009) A novel wire mesh "cell" for studying lipid oxidative processes by Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy. Applied Spectroscopy 63(5), 518-527.
(173) Yu, Xiuzhu;Du, Shuangkui; van de Voort, Frederick R.; Yue, Tianli; Li, Zhixi. (2009) Automated and simultaneous determination of free fatty acids and peroxide values in edible oils by FTIR spectroscopy using spectral reconstitution. Analytical Sciences 25(5), 627-632.
(172) Gao, L, Sedman, J. Garcia-Gonzalez, D., Ehsan, S. Sprules, T. and van de Voort, Frederik R.. 13C NMR as a primary method for determining saturates, cis- and trans-monounsaturates and polyunsaturates in fats and oils for nutritional labeling purposes. European Journal of Lipid Science and Technology (2009), 111(6), 612-622.
(171) F.R. van de Voort, F.R. and Pinchuk, D. (2008) In-Line, Continuous Monitoring of Fuel Dilution in Motor Oils by Fourier Transform Infrared (FTIR) Spectroscopy. Lubrication Excellence Conference Proceedings Nashville Convention Center, Nashville, TN; May 20-22, 2008. pp. 385-388.
(170) F.R. van de Voort, F.R. and Pinchuk, D. (2008) In-Line, Continuous Monitoring of Fuel Dilution in Motor Oils by Fourier Transform Infrared (FTIR) Spectroscopy. Lubrication Excellence Conference Proceedings Nashville Convention Center, Nashville, TN; May 20-22, 2008. pp. 385-388.
(169) Anon, (2008) D7416-07 - Standard practice for set-up and operation of Fourier transform infrared (FT-IR) spectrometers for in-service oil condition monitoring. American Standards and Testing Materials (ASTM). pp 1-8
(167) van de Voort, F.R. Ghetler, A., García-González, D. L and Li, Yue D. (2008). Perspectives on Quantitative Mid-FTIR Spectroscopy in Relation to Edible Oil and Lubricant Analysis: Evolution and Integration of Analytical Methodologies. Food Analytical Methods. 1: 153-163.
(161) van de Voort, Frederik, Sedman, J, Pinchuk, D and Cocciardi, R. (2007) Measuring moisture in lubricants with FTIR: An alternative to Karl Fischer titration. Lubrication Excellence, Reliability World and Lean Manufacturing Conference Proceedings. . May 15-17, 2007. pp. 497-499
(160) Pinchuk, D., Akochi-Koble, E., R. Cocciardi, Pinchuk, J. and van de Voort, F. (2007) Demystifying and understanding lubricants using FTIR spectroscopy. Practicing Oil Analysis March-April pp. 16-19.
(158) van de Voort, F.R., Cocciardia, R. , Sedman, J. and Juneau, S. (2007) An automated FTIR method for the routine quantitative determination of moisture in lubricants. Talanta 72 (1) 289-295.
(157) Pinchuk, D, Akochi-Koble, E., Cocciardi, R., Pinchuk J., van de Voort, F. and Sedman, J. (2006). Demystifying and understanding your lubricants using FTIR spectroscopic analysis. Proceedings of Lubrication Excellence Conference, Columbus Ohio, May 16-18, 2006 p138-142.
(156) van de Voort, F.R., Sedman, J., Cocciardi, R. A. and Pinchuk, D. (2006) FTIR Condition monitoring of in-service lubricants: Ongoing developments and future perspectives. Tribology Transactions 49 (3) 410-418.
(152) van de Voort, F.R., Sedman, J. and Pinchuk. D. (2004). Improving JOAP FTIR condition monitoring analytical throughput by sample dilution. Joint Oil Analysis Program International Condition Monitoring Conference. April 18-22 2004. Pensacola FL. JOAP-TSC Technology Showcase and Conference Proceedings. CD-ROM
(151) van de Voort, F.R., Sedman, J., Pinchuk. D. and Cocciardi, R. (2004). Quantitative lubricant analysis by FTIR spectroscopy: determination of AN, BN and H2O. Joint Oil Analysis Program International Condition Monitoring Conference. April 18-22 2004. Pensacola FL. JOAP-TSC Technology Showcase and Conference Proceedings. CD-ROM