Getting ready for university should be an exciting and worry-free time in your life, so to help ease your preparations we’ve compiled a checklist of the most important things to do before arriving at McGill.
Make sure to accept McGill's admission offer through Minerva (McGill's online registration system) and pay your deposit (note that the charge may vary based on your program, consult the Student Accounts website).
- McGill Finances allows you to calculate the cost of your first year of study and plan your budget. McGill offers a need-based Entrance Bursary Program for first-time undergraduate students from modest-income families. The application deadline is 30 days from the date of formal acceptance to the University. Students may apply via the Financial Aid Menu on Minerva. Eligibility information is available here.
If you have been offered a space in residence, please fill out the appropriate surveys on Minerva. If you haven't yet reserved a spot in Residence please contact the Student Housing and Hospitality Services at 514-398-6368 or by housing [dot] residences [at] mcgill [dot] ca (email).
Submit your legal documents to McGill’s Enrolment Services as soon as possible – preferably well in advance of the fee payment deadline, so that your tuition fees are billed at the correct rate right from the start.
Quebec residents: submit your proof of residency.
Out-of-province residents: submit your Proof of Canadian citizenship or Permanent Residency.
International residents: submit your CAQ (Certificate of Acceptance of Quebec) and Study Permit, if you’re coming for two terms; or a copy of the entrance stamp on your passport, if you’re coming for one term. Submit these documents, along with the completed Permanent Code form.
For further information, visit McGill's Legal Documents website.
Activate your McGill email account so you don’t miss important messages. It is McGill University’s official means of communication.
- Download the official McGill app on the App Store or Google Play.
- Connect with Campus Life & Engagement on social media on Facebook (CL&E Page and Entering Class Group), Instagram, Twitter, and Snapchat.
- Verify your registration and fee information, provide your emergency contact information, and update your Montreal mailing address on Minerva.
- Make sure to register for at least one course by the mid-August registration deadline.
- Save the date for Orientation Week and make sure to attend the University-wide Orientation, Discover McGill!
- Check out McGill 101, an online orientation and info hub for all new undergraduate students. Available through myCourses in late May.
ONCE YOU ARRIVE
- Obtain your McGill student ID card (and medical insurance card for international students). On the downtown campus, this can be done at Service Point (3415 McTavish Street). On the Macdonald campus, your ID card can be obtained in the Student Affairs Office (Laird Hall 106) and your medical insurance card can be obtained at Student Services in the Centennial Centre.
- Finalize your schedule by the end of the Add/Drop Period.
- Buy your books and course packs after you have received the book list from your professors. Note: Course packs are non-refundable and are ideally purchased after the Add/Drop Period.
- Complete the mandatory Academic Integrity Tutorial, which will be available on myCourses shortly after the Add/Drop deadline.