St. Mary's Hospital
St-Mary's Hospital - Family Medicine Centre
3777 Jean Brillant
Tel: (514) 734-2677
Fax: (514) 734-2605
Alan Pavilanis, M.D., Director
Dr. Lennie Lalla, M.D., Undergraduate Education Coordinator
Maureen Doyle, M.D., Postgraduate Program Coordinator
Lina Ricci, Administrative Coordinator, Room 2717
Tel:(514) 345-3511, ext. 5663
The Family Medicine Unit is located in St. Mary's Hospital, a community-based hospital in the Côte-des-Neiges area of Montreal. The staff is composed of nurses, nursing assistants, secretaries, a clinical psychologist, staff physicians and residents.
Students assigned to this centre will participate in a number of clinical activities which will demonstrate the breadth of primary care. During this rotation, students will observe the delivery of health care to patients and their families in a comprehensive and continuous manner. Small group teaching and clinical supervision is provided by faculty.
Description of Student Activities
This four-week rotation exposes students to a broad range of activities which include:
- Caring for ambulatory patients in the family medicine unit in a CLSC (local community health service centre), and in a physician’s community-based private office.
- Caring for homebound patients through the Family Medicine Home Care Program.
- Attending weekly teaching seminars focusing on medical knowledge, interviewing skills, clinical skills in primary care and community medicine.
- Participating in Family Medicine rounds and other teaching sessions.
- Attending pediatrics clinical teaching sessions.
- Attending skills workshop sessions presented by Family Medicine Centre staff physicians and nurses.
- Shadowing FMC staff nurses.