Spaghetti Nights Family Workshops
Parents, teachers, all of us want kids to succeed. Over the last year, we talked to parents and guardians to find out what we can do to support you to help your children succeed in school and continue to learn. What parents and guardians told us is that they need tips and tools to help their children. Families also wanted a safe space to talk about what ‘success in school’ actually means to them and their children.
In response to these needs, the Riverview Community Learning Centre (CLC) and McGill University’s Homework Zone program invite you to discuss these questions and get those tools throughout the Fall at the Spaghetti Nights Family Workshops. These FREE workshops were created to be hands-on, useful and something that parents/guardians and their children can attend and participate in!
What you will get at Spaghetti Nights:
- Hands-on workshops and discussions that send you and your children home with new ideas and concrete tools on how to succeed in school
- Free spaghetti dinner at each workshop
- Free daycare
- Free public transit tickets available upon request
- Door prizes for parents and children at each workshop and a chance to enter a grand draw for families who attend ALL FOUR monthly workshops
Each workshop takes place at Riverview Elementary School, 971 Riverview Avenue, Verdun (in room 215).
Past Spaghetti Nights Workshops:
- How to create a home environment for learning and school success
- Parents’/guardians’ tools for helping kids with their homework
- Financial planning for secondary and post-secondary education
In all aspects of the Homework Zone program, we look at the relationship between school and community involvement in student success. Each workshop aims to connect the school to the community/home environment for the further success of each student.
For more information, contact anurag [dot] dhir [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Anurag Dhir).
If you are a McGill student and would like to volunteer at the Spaghetti Nights Daycare, please email sophie [dot] reilly [at] mail [dot] mcgill [dot] ca (Sophie Reilly).
***The next Family Workshops are Thursday, February 13th; March 13th, April 10th and May 8th. Volunteers are needed from 5:45 to 8:15 PM at Riverview Elementary – get bus tickets and a free meal!***