Launched in 2012, Spaghetti Nights Family Workshops are a series of free, monthly, two-hour workshops for parents, guardians and families developed through a collaboration between SEDE and the Riverview Community Learning Centre (CLC).
Currently offered at Riverview Elementary (Verdun), Pierre Elliott Trudeau Elementary (Villeray), Gerald McShane Elementary (Montréal-Nord) and Parkdale Elementary (Ville St-Laurent), many of the families who participate have children in SEDE’s Homework Zone Afterschool Mentoring Program. The workshop topics are suggested by parents/guardians and facilitated by McGill staff, faculty and Montreal-based professional educators. The goal of the workshops is to provide accessible, helpful information and practical tools for parents/guardians to support their children’s development academically, personally and socially. Spaghetti Nights is also a safe, supportive community space for families to learn together and from each other.
How Spaghetti Nights works
Workshops are offered once a month on Thursday evenings and begin with a free spaghetti dinner at 5:30 pm, followed by a workshop for parents/guardians from 6:00 – 8:00 pm while childcare is provided by volunteers under the supervision of a Family Care Animator.
What we offer to families
- Engaging workshops and discussions that send families home with new ideas and concrete tools on how to thrive in school and at home
- Free spaghetti dinner
- Free childcare
- Free public transit tickets available upon request
Some past Spaghetti Nights Workshops
- How to create a home environment for learning and school success
- Attachment: The cornerstone of parenting
- Making healthy meals quickly and on a budget
- Parents’/guardians’ tools for helping kids with their homework
- Financial planning for secondary and post-secondary education
Want to get involved?
- We are always looking for McGill students, staff and faculty to volunteer at the Spaghetti Nights Daycare (Thursdays, 6-8pm). Please email sede.office [at] gmail.com
- Want to be a Spaghetti Nights Workshop Facilitator? Read our Facilitator Guidelines and contact anurag.dhir [at] mcgill.ca (Anurag Dhir).
email anurag.dhir [at] mcgill.ca (Anurag Dhir) or call 514-398-3745
Workshop Facilitators needed in 2017-18!
We are currently looking for workshops on the following topics suggested by parents/guardians:
- How to get kids interested in math
- How to control tantrums
- How to save for a kid’s education
- Family time management
- Raising children with special needs
- How to cope with stress and anxiety
- Transitioning from youth to pre-teen
- Online safety and literacy