GRADUATE RESEARCH ENCHANCEMENT AND TRAVEL AWARDS
The Department of Epidemiology, Biostatistics, and Occupational Health GREAT Award program is designed to provide funds to support travel to conferences or other research training enhancement opportunities, such as travel for fieldwork, archival inquiry, and extra-mural collaborative research. Students may receive only one GREAT Award per year.
VALUE OF AWARDS
Travel awards in increments of $250 up to a maximum of $1000 are available to pay for travel, subsistence, conference fees, etc. at the recipient’s discretion. Expenditure must be justified with receipts.
The recipient’s supervisor is expected to provide a monetary contribution to support the student’s travel needs. The minimum supervisor contribution is expected to equal that of the Departmental award. Confirmation of this contribution as well as a short statement regarding the academic value of the activity is to be sent by email to the attention of gradadmin [dot] eboh [at] mcgill [dot] ca (André Yves Gagnon).
- GREAT awards are open to any Research Master’s or Doctoral student in good standing, registered fulltime, and not in time limitation in the Department of Epidemiology, Biostatistics, and Occupational Health;
- Priority will be given to students who are presenting their own scientific results and who have not previously received a travel award from the University.
- Completed on-line application form;
- Supervisor statement regarding the academic value of activity, and their financial contribution;
- Confirmation of conference registration (if applicable);
- A copy of the proposed submitted abstract (if applicable).
ATTRIBUTION OF AWARDS
The number of awards attributed will be dependent on the amount of funding available. Recipients of the GREAT awards will be determined by a committee of three faculty members one of whom will be the Graduate Program Director.
ANNOUNCEMENT OF RESULTS
E-mails announcing competition results will be sent to all applicants approximately 2 to 4 weeks after the application deadline.
The award is paid as a reimbursement of travel expenses. Recipients of the award must provide the Department with original receipts.
- March 15th for conference/research activity held May 1st to August 31st inclusive
- July 15th for conference/research activity held September 1st to December 31st inclusive
- November 1st for conference/research activity held January 1st to April 30th inclusive
The on-line applications form is available at www.mcgill.ca/epi-biostat-occh/grad/greatawards/application-form.