B.A., magna cum laude (Columbia University); Ph.D. (Northwestern University)
theatre and performance in the Americas, African diaspora studies, Latin American studies, postcolonial theory, cultural studies, studies of gender and sexuality, nineteenth- and twentieth-century theatre and drama.
- MAP Fund Grant for Theatre, Awarded to Colectivo El Pozo and Contratiempo Literary Journal (http://mapfund.org/grant_721.html), 2012.
- Center for Interdisciplinary Research in the Arts (CIRA) Fellowship, Northwestern University, 2010.
- Targeted Community Arts Funding, United States Embassy in Panama, 2010.
- Fulbright Institute of International Education (IIE) Dissertation Research Fellowship, 2010.
- Third Place, New Scholars’ Essay Prize, International Federation for Theatre Research (IFTR), 2009.
- American Society for Theatre Research (ASTR) Research Award, 2008.
- Roberta Buffett Center for International and Comparative Studies (BCICS) Research Grant, 2008.
- “Race and Politics in Concert: Paul Robeson and William Warfield in Panama, 1947-1953,” Global South Special Edition, “Interoceanic Diasporas and the Panama Canal’s Centennial Anniversary,” Spring 2013.
- “A Future in the Present: The Theatre of Raúl Leis,” Contemporary Theatre Review, 2013.
- “The Michael Jackson Memorial Procession: Carving a Sonic Path through Stratified Spaces,” Journal of Popular Music Studies 23:1 (March 2011): 85-93.
- “Toward a Pedagogy of Redress: Staging West Indian Panamanian History in De/From Barbados a/to Panamá.” Latin American and Caribbean Ethnic Studies 4.3 (November 2009): 293-317.
Performance and Book Reviews
- The African American Theatrical Body: Reception, Performance, and the Stage, by Soyica Diggs Colbert, and Darkening Mirrors: Imperial Representations in Depression-Era African American Performance, by Stephanie Leigh Batiste. E-misférica 9.1 (May 2012).
- Performance Review. “Foto de señoritas y esclusas.” E-misférica 7.1 (July 2010). <http://hemisphericinstitute.org/hemi/en/e-misferica-71/zien>
- Book Review. “Two Perspectives on the Global Politics of Migration, Disease, and Citizenship.” E-misférica 6.1 (July 2009). http://hemisphericinstitute.org/hemi/en/e-misferica-61/zien
“Claiming the Canal: Performances of Race and Nation in Panama, 1904-1999.”